Moonraker

This blog chronicles the adventures of the sailing vessel Moonraker. We just finished the second year of our cruising life. We explored the US East Coast from Maine to Florida, the Bahamas, Haiti, PR, and the Virgin Islands.

19 May 2016 | Port Annapolis Marina, Annapolis, MD
06 April 2016 | Port Annapolis Marina, Annapolis, MD
13 February 2016 | Port Annapolis Marina, Annapolis, MD
21 January 2016 | Port Annapolis Marina, Annapolis, MD
09 December 2015 | Port Annapolis Marina, Annapolis, MD
05 November 2015 | Annapolis, Maryland
22 October 2015 | Annapolis, Maryland
01 October 2015 | Annapolis, Maryland
14 August 2015 | Annapolis, Maryland
15 July 2015 | Annapolis, Maryland
08 June 2015 | Hillsmere Shores Marina, Annapolis, Maryland
26 May 2015 | Annapolis, Maryland
14 May 2015 | Annapolis, Maryland
09 March 2015 | Annapolis, Maryland
17 February 2015 | Annapolis, Maryland
08 January 2015 | Annapolis, Maryland
08 December 2014 | Annapolis, Maryland
31 October 2014 | Annapolis, Maryland
20 October 2014 | Annapolis, Maryland
04 October 2014 | Port Annapolis Marina, Annapolis, Maryland

Back in the USA!

02 April 2013 | Beaufort, NC
Donna
Sorry we didn’t post to the blog last night but there was a lot of excitement with actually being out of the ocean and having Internet!! Oh, and not to mention hot hot showers! Our final day of ocean passage was much better than the day that preceded it. This is what sailing on the ocean should have been. The sea had large waves but the sails were all on the same side of the boat and the wind was pushing us well, no pounding and jumping. I was still very ready to be done, but this was much more doable. We managed to get the boat in decent shape and even found a small pod of dolphins to watch as they played with the boat. The picture above is of American dolphins. We have some other pictures of Bahamian dolphins we will post soon. The rain the day before had helped wash some of the salt away so everything was looking good.

As we got closer to Beaufort, Bill started to see some large ships surrounding us on our radar screen. Only one was on the AIS and it was a military ship. Generally the military ships don’t turn on their AIS so he figured the rest would be military also. It was a very cold gray day but we could eventually see all the ships in the distance.

I’ve discovered in the past few years that going through an inlet from the ocean to a smaller body of water is sometimes very difficult. The Beaufort Inlet was not bad. There was a long channel, well marked with buoys. Buoys, that is something we hadn’t seen in a long time. The Bahamas has very few marks and what marks they use are generally just a stick. If you are lucky it is painted green or red on top, if it has a top… The channel was easy though, just stay between the red and the green marks and you are good, as long as you have enough strength to fight against the current that is trying to pull you out. We got into Beaufort and made our way to Taylor Creek right off the downtown docks. We had anchored here on the way south and had trouble finding a place to anchor then too. I’m sure there were a lot more boats the last time. There are lots of boats on moorings here, I think that is probably where they are kept. We finally found a place to anchor. Yeah!! We weren’t moving for the first time in four days!!

Of course we used our WiFi antenna to find some Internet to use. Luckily we found one so we could turn our cell phone back on, it didn’t seem to want to work any other way. We had turned the US cell service off when we left the country. Luckily Verizon will let you do that. No phone bill for two months, but they tack the time back on to the end of the contract. Flipping a switch on the Verizon web page made the phone work again instantly. We called home just to let them know we were alive and then took showers. I have never needed a shower so badly in my life! Well – that probably isn’t true, after all I am a caver, but it sure felt like it.

The next item of business was getting the rolled up, deflated dinghy back out of my berth and into the water. That went well but we are worried about our pump. That is definitely on the list of things that will be replaced when we get back to Annapolis. The dinghy took us to dinner in Beaufort. I’ve been looking for Mexican food and couldn’t find any in the Bahamas. I saw a Mexican restaurant as we were motoring up Taylor Creek so that is where we had dinner.

The best thing about the night at anchor was it was quiet and still. I would have liked that on the ocean but it was not to be had! When we got up we called into Customs. We tried when we got here yesterday afternoon but they were already closed. We called first thing when they opened and they said they would call us back in ten minutes. Of course it was more than an hour later before we couldn’t take it anymore so we called them back. We talked to a Customs agent and she took some information down and then told us to have the boat on the main dock in an hour. We weren’t prepared for that at all! We thought we would have to go in, we had no idea the boat would. Good thing I cleaned up the night before. We had to get the dinghy back on the davits and straighten up some things. We made it though. We were there in time, even if our docking wasn’t the best we’ve ever done. The Customs agent was a wonderful Southern woman. We had a nice chat while she conducted her business. I sure learned a lot about what to do and not to do regarding food when coming back from a foreign port. Meat, eggs, dairy, and deli meat were their main concerns. Of course there were no fresh fruits left to worry about. We were lucky that we didn’t have to dispose of anything.

After our Customs inspection we went out to lunch and bought just enough fuel to get us home. When we get there the fuel tank gets replaced too! Now we are on our way again. We will anchor someplace for the night and keep on going north.



Comments
Vessel Name: Moonraker
Vessel Make/Model: Bayfield 40
Hailing Port: Annapolis, MD
Crew: Bill & Donna Shuman
About:
This blog will record our adventures as we continue our new cruising life. This summer (2013) we plan to head north and explore the coasts of Maine and Nova Scotia. We will return to Annapolis in the fall for the SSCA GAM and then head south on the ICW to Florida. [...]
Extra:
Moonraker was built in 1986 and had two owners before we bought her in 2005. After spending nearly two years on the hard making all the repairs and improvements that I had promised Donna we wouldn’t have to do if we bought her, we were finally ready to go sailing. For the next several years we [...]
Moonraker's Photos - Main
30 Photos
Created 17 February 2015
34 Photos
Created 27 March 2014
22 Photos
Created 27 March 2014
14 Photos
Created 11 February 2014
45 Photos
Created 9 February 2014
27 Photos
Created 26 December 2013
To Be Added In the Near Future
1 Photo
Created 26 December 2013
28 Photos
Created 27 October 2013
39 Photos
Created 6 August 2013
19 Photos
Created 4 August 2013
22 Photos
Created 1 July 2013
27 Photos
Created 10 April 2013
18 Photos
Created 19 March 2013
20 Photos
Created 6 March 2013
44 Photos
Created 25 February 2013
12 Photos
Created 25 February 2013
27 Photos
Created 10 February 2013
14 Photos
Created 31 January 2013
25 Photos
Created 14 January 2013
22 Photos
Created 22 December 2012
18 Photos
Created 22 December 2012
21 Photos
Created 10 December 2012
19 Photos
Created 3 December 2012
16 Photos
Created 18 November 2012
15 Photos
Created 16 September 2012
15 Photos
Created 8 September 2012
20 Photos
Created 4 September 2012
24 Photos
Created 24 August 2012
17 Photos
Created 18 August 2012
20 Photos
Created 11 August 2012
22 Photos
Created 4 August 2012
20 Photos
Created 21 July 2012
21 Photos
Created 5 March 2012
1 Photo
Created 29 February 2012

Who: Bill & Donna Shuman
Port: Annapolis, MD

Where in the World is Moonraker

Our Boat

Moonraker is a 1986 Bayfield 40 designed by the famous Ted Gozzard and built in Ontario, Canada. The rig is a cutter/ketch. Here are some of her specs:

LOA: 45 ft. 6 in.
LWL: 30 ft. 6 in.
Beam: 12 ft.
Draft: 4 ft. 11 in.
Displacement: 21,000 lbs.
Ballast: 8,200 lbs.
Sail Area: 1,009 sq. ft.


Site Statistics:
Site Meter