Another Day Another Adventure
24 August 2014 | Port Annapolis Marina, Annapolis, Maryland
I didn't expect to do another blog post today. The plan for today was to just take an easy motor boat ride from our home marina to the marina we are going to haul the boat out at tomorrow. No big deal, just a couple of hours up to Back Creek in Annapolis. We don’t have our main or mizzen on the boat right now so there wasn't really going to be any sailing. We realized that this was the first time we would do this without two cars so we were going to need a ride either to our boat or home from the marina in Annapolis. We don’t know why we didn't think to ask our friend Jennifer who lives across the street from the marina until we drove past her neighborhood. What a great idea – maybe she will even want to come with us! She is a very busy person but we were lucky enough to catch her home today. She jumped at the idea!
All was going great. It was a beautiful day, we had stopped and picked up lunch, all systems seemed a go. That was until we backed away from the dock. Reverse was no problem, we got about a boat length away from the dock when Bill put the boat in forward and realized we weren't going anywhere. Somehow in the last few months at the dock our transmission apparently failed. We backed up a bit more so we wouldn't hit any of the boats at the dock and dropped the anchor. We decided to eat our lunch while Bill tried to figure out what to do next.
He called Tow Boat US, where we luckily have towing insurance, and explained the situation to them. We knew that we were eligible for free towing to the marina we were hauling out at, but not if we were that close to our marina, in that case you have to pay half the cost. Too many people were pulling their boat out of the slip and then calling for the towboat. That is honestly not what we did. We had no idea the transmission had failed when we pulled away from the dock. They told Bill the boat had to at least be in the channel coming into the marina. I think he was going to try and back out there, since reverse was working, but somehow we were able to get the boat to go slowly in forward. We decided to take the boat all the way out to the mark where the South River (the river our marina is off of) meets the Chesapeake Bay. We anchored by the red number 4 navigation mark and called Tow Boat US back.
We were told the tow boat would be there in about twenty five minutes. Around the expected time we saw a red tow boat not too far away but he wasn't moving. Bill called again and we found out the engine on the tow boat had just died. We would have to wait another half hour for a tow boat that was coming past us to do a job further up the South River, then he would come back and tow us. We saw that boat go by and a short while later we saw another tow boat go by. Bill called again and they said the second boat was relieving the captain on the first boat that had gone by and then he was coming to us. Finally the tow boat came to our boat but he said that we would have to wait for the captain on the very first tow boat to get towed over to us and then they would switch boats. Finally we had three tow boats right next to us, one was being towed itself. The original captain boarded the tow boat Reliant and threw us a line to attach to our bow. The picture above shows us being towed up the Chesapeake Bay. We had a lovely ride.
When we had dropped a car at the marina the dock we were placing our boat at was completely empty. Unfortunately that wasn't the case when we got there. There was just enough space for us to slip in, a little more difficult for the tow boat but he made it happen. We are currently tied up at the haul out dock. We are hoping we can get our mechanic to look at the transmission before they take the boat out of the water but we aren't sure that will happen. Just one more thing to worry about!!