More Mischief Wherever We Go

Season 5 begins of five months or five years - October 30th, 2015

Thanksgiving Day Massacre

31 December 1969
We awoke early on the morning of Thanksgiving Day to see Polar Bear circling around our boat. The wind had piped up during the night and their anchor had dragged. It took them about an hour to find a new spot and get the anchor down again. By the time they had finished a few more boats had dragged and the wind was up stronger and the tide was now changing. With the effects of the strong current here boats were now swinging all over the place including us right in the middle of the anchorage in the deep water around three other boats that were on mooring balls. Thinking this was best place and that we would not get the greatest effects of the current we should be fairly safe considering the amount of chain we had let out. By this time we had decided that we would not go to shore and participate in the pot luck lunch until the tide had change was over. As luck would have it our anchor too dragged and that was when the fun really began. I quickly started the engine and Michael ran forward to start hoisting the anchor and quickly as possible while dragging towards one of the boat on a mooring ball. He got about half of the chain up and the boat all of a sudden stopped. I gave it a little more gas and still nothing. Next I tried reverse and we were moving again but down onto the boat on the mooring. Things were happening very quickly now and before we knew we right beside the moored boat. Clearly, we were attached to something under the water but had no idea what. By this time things were out of control and before we knew the mooring ball had gone under the boat and now our engine had stalled. We put out a call for help and few fellow cruisers came over to assess the situation. The only thing that could be done was to pull out some fenders and dock lines and secure the boats together and wait for the end of the tide change. Once we were secured, we waited for slake tide. About two hours later, Michael went out to the cockpit to check out the fenders and was surprised to see the mooring ball out from under our boat and nothing appeared to be around the prop. Started the engine with no problem, but did not attempt forward or reverse yet. He then went forward to work on the anchor and was able to pull up almost all our chain and surprise the mooring ball chain. At this point, Win was in his dinghy and came around front to hook a line on the mooring ball chain so that we could release our anchor. In this case, Polar Bear had the best advice and we were able to release ourselves from the entanglement. Once released, be decided we needed Randy Clarke to create a song similar to Alice Restaurant because this clearly was a massacre. It was now time to go ashore and have some adult beverages from our favorite bartender Cindy LooWho. - a very large and mouthy version of our favorite Cindy. What more can we say about a bartender that has her own personal parking spot in front of the bar and drives a Harley Davidson chopper and a brand new corvette. So this was our Thanksgiving and it was now time to move on.
Comments
Vessel Name: More Mischief
Vessel Make/Model: Jeanneau Sunkiss 47
Hailing Port: EYC Toronto, Ontario
Crew: Michael Hall and Hilda Allward
About: The trip of the life time begins. I wonder if it will kill us...5 months or five years. Our 47 foot Jeanneau is to be our home for the next 5 years. At this stage is would be interesting to know what it would be like to spend 24/7 together.
Extra: Year three is about to start. We are heading back to Antigua to launch the boat and plan on cruising back up to St. Marten and then over to the Virgin Islands for the season.
Social:

Who: Michael Hall and Hilda Allward
Port: EYC Toronto, Ontario