More Mischief Wherever We Go

Season 5 begins of five months or five years - October 30th, 2015

Fort Pierce to Miami - January 4th to January 6th

28 January 2012
We were now ready to start traveling again but not before we really got stuck in the channel leaving Vero Beach. This was by far the worst one yet. With the help of some fellow cruisers with dinghies, letting out the jib and using the main halyard to heal the boat over we were able to power through a foot of mud back into the channel. Polar Bear in the meantime was circling out in the channel waiting for us. The rest of the day was an uneventful motor down the ICW to Fort Pierce where we anchored just outside of the channel. Safe arrival drinks were enjoyed that evening on Polar Bear where the decision was made to now move out of the ICW and avoid the 23 bridges that you would have pass through. We dragged that night for the first time and had to reset our anchor in the dark of night (very doable but not fun). The next leg would take us on the outside route to Lake Worth. Up early and on our way with no wind to speak of and we needed to put the hammer down if we were going to time our arrival and not anchor in the dark. Great plan but of course did not work. Polar Bear was having engine problems and we held back until they figured them out. As it turns out they had bad gas and once they switched to the other filter we were on our way again. By the time we reached the entrance it was dark and we were now forced to maneuver into the anchorage by way of the chart plotter only through a very narrow channel. Of course we hit bottom twice before we found deep enough water to drop a hook. The next morning it was another day for an early departure as we wanted to make it to Miami before sunset. We left at the crack of dawn with at least 200 high speed fishing boats that were also departing at speeds we never see causing the boat to rock and roll through their wakes. I wish our good friend James Countouris had told us about the dangers of Lake Worth entrance. As you may remember James used to deliver Countour 50’s to this port. We arrived at the Port of Miami just before sunset and had to make our way to the anchorage in the dark again. This time we made it without touching bottom. We anchored in South Beach which is close to Star Island. As we were going to depart the next morning for the Bahamas we desperately needed to stock up at the fridge first knowing the costs of food would be horrendous once we crossed. The only thing we did not need to buy was beer as we had stocked the two aft cabins of the boat with 20 cases in Vero Beach. Hopefully that will be enough to get use through the Bahamas where beer is 40.00 to 60.00 per case.
Comments
Vessel Name: More Mischief
Vessel Make/Model: Jeanneau Sunkiss 47
Hailing Port: EYC Toronto, Ontario
Crew: Michael Hall and Hilda Allward
About: The trip of the life time begins. I wonder if it will kill us...5 months or five years. Our 47 foot Jeanneau is to be our home for the next 5 years. At this stage is would be interesting to know what it would be like to spend 24/7 together.
Extra: Year three is about to start. We are heading back to Antigua to launch the boat and plan on cruising back up to St. Marten and then over to the Virgin Islands for the season.
Social:

Who: Michael Hall and Hilda Allward
Port: EYC Toronto, Ontario