More Mischief Wherever We Go

Season 5 begins of five months or five years - October 30th, 2015

Arrived in George Town Feb 7th

02 April 2012
We got up at first light and headed back out to the Exuma Sound for a 50 mile trip to Conch Cay Cut which is the entrance into Elizabeth Harbor. We left with Majiks and before we knew it Flextime and Hali were out there as well. Hali is owned by a couple that we first met in Beaufort South Carolina and they are from Woodstock. There was also a few other boats already out there heading in the same direction. This was our first opportunity to put the fishing rod out. Of course we did not get anything but in no time Flextime had a 42 inch Mahi Mahi . We anchored early in the afternoon across from the “Monument” in the harbor. We spent two days there and then moved to Stocking Island which was closer volley ball beach (Michael actually played) and the Chat and Chill Bar where all the action is. The anchorage now had about 250 boats and more coming for George Town Cruising Regatta which takes place from Feb…..to March …. The place was really filling up and the forecast was for some nasty weather coming in the next few days. Majiks noticed that a few of the mooring balls were now empty that we both could move to them and take advantage of being closer to shore and more protected. They pulled anchor and moved to the closest mooring. In the meantime we were not sure what we were going to do and in the end we decided we would move too. Michael moved to the front of the boat to hoist the anchor and I went to start the boat…..Ops the starter did not engage. Oh no, now what. One of the fellow cruisers in the anchorage came to our rescue to try and determine what the problem was. As it turns out the starter was done. This was when we first met Myron and Deana from Holdfast on a Whitby 42. In the meantime we were still anchored and the wind was coming up. There was mooring ball that had been vacated early in the afternoon but they had paid for it for the rest of the week. The harbor master told us that if we could get towed over, we could have it until the boat was fixed. We did not want to be anchored with no way to start the boat if the anchor dragged in the forecasted 25 knot winds. So the dinghy brigade came to the rescue, Majiks, Polar Bear and Karen Ann towed us to the mooring. Being Friday afternoon, we then made a quick trip into town to try an order a replacement starter. Two hours later, a new starter was located in states and would ship to us by DHL for a costly sum which was to arrive by Tuesday or Wednesday…Feb 15th or sometime soon. The starter finally arrived on Feb. 20th and with the help of Myron and Deanna the starter was reinstalled in about an hour and we were up and running again. On the Sunday before the starter arrived we all piled into the Karen Ann (48 foot Hattarous) and motored to Pigeon Cay for a day for snorkeling and the boys went spear fishing. A great lobster dinner was had on More Mischief that evening. The following week, we decided it was time for some site seeing in Exuma. We rented scooters with Karen Ann, Majiks and another boat – Epiphany a Vagabound 47. We toured from one end of the island to the other and by the time we got back to George Town again everyone had numb bums. A quick stop at the Two Turtles for some refreshments and back into the dinghies again and back over the anchorage before nightfall. My birthday was celebrated on Majiks with Karen Ann and Patience (owned by the one and only Hugh Price who likes to dine on carrots). We now had to do a big cleanup on the boat as Adrian and Randy were going to arrive on Sunday, Feb 26th and the two aft cabins had been used to store what was left or our 20 cases of beer and an assortment of other paraphernalia.
Comments
Vessel Name: More Mischief
Vessel Make/Model: Jeanneau Sunkiss 47
Hailing Port: EYC Toronto, Ontario
Crew: Michael Hall and Hilda Allward
About: The trip of the life time begins. I wonder if it will kill us...5 months or five years. Our 47 foot Jeanneau is to be our home for the next 5 years. At this stage is would be interesting to know what it would be like to spend 24/7 together.
Extra: Year three is about to start. We are heading back to Antigua to launch the boat and plan on cruising back up to St. Marten and then over to the Virgin Islands for the season.
Social:

Who: Michael Hall and Hilda Allward
Port: EYC Toronto, Ontario