More Mischief Wherever We Go

Season 5 begins of five months or five years - October 30th, 2015

Next Stop Rum Cay

27 May 2012
The parts arrived on late Monday afternoon. On Tuesday morning with the assistance from Dick on Cheetah II the parts were installed in no time. We motored around the anchorage for an hour or so and it appeared that the leak had stopped. There was also a decent weather window to depart George Town and start our second attempt at heading further south. We got up at the crack of dawn and left the harbor with Dick and Jane from Cheetah II and Brenda and Daniel from Anook II. By the looks of things this was going be a good day to put engine to test as we were going to be motoring all the way to Rum Cay. All appeared to be fine but we decided that we would keep a close look out for any further oil leaks and to our surprise we had sprung a leak again. This time Michael was able to determine very quickly as to the source of the leak. In George Town the breather had been removed to be cleaned and it looked like one of the hoses had a very small crack in it. However the oil was leaking directly into the bilge and needed to be stopped. We put a small tray under the engine to collect the oil and for the rest of the trip Michael would lift the cockpit floor every hour and go down and remove the oil from the tray with a turkey baster and put in back into the engine. Needless to say that by the time we finally got to Rum Cay he was exhausted. The plan was to get up early the next day and try to fix it. Cheetah ll also has a problem with their alternator which needs some attention.
The next morning we got up and addressed the engine. It had a split hose on the return to the oil breather which was under the clamp that held it in place. Dick from Cheetah ll had a piece of hose the correct size so we were able to fix the engine and was once again able to proceed forward with our journey.
Comments
Vessel Name: More Mischief
Vessel Make/Model: Jeanneau Sunkiss 47
Hailing Port: EYC Toronto, Ontario
Crew: Michael Hall and Hilda Allward
About: The trip of the life time begins. I wonder if it will kill us...5 months or five years. Our 47 foot Jeanneau is to be our home for the next 5 years. At this stage is would be interesting to know what it would be like to spend 24/7 together.
Extra: Year three is about to start. We are heading back to Antigua to launch the boat and plan on cruising back up to St. Marten and then over to the Virgin Islands for the season.
Social:

Who: Michael Hall and Hilda Allward
Port: EYC Toronto, Ontario