More Mischief Wherever We Go

Season 5 begins of five months or five years - October 30th, 2015

Dominica – Feb 4th to Feb 14th

17 February 2013
The trip from Ste. Pierre to Roseau is about 40 nautical miles which includes 26 miles of open water passage between the two islands. When sailing through these open waters the winds and sea state always seem to be more than forecasted so the best thing to do is prepare early for what will come up when you are in the open water. We left with a single reef and full jib but by the time we reached the cut we had to reduce the jib down to about a third. It was a bit of a hobby horse ride across but we made it quickly and comfortably. It seems so strange now looking back to our sailing experiences on Lake Ontario when it was blowing 20 knots that you probably were not leaving the dock. If you wait here for lights winds and really calm seas you would not get very far.
We got the last available mooring in Roseau thanks to another Canadian that had arrived the day before and reserved one for us. You need to be on a mooring here as the water is close to a 100 feet deep within two or three boats lengths from shore. The only other option is to stern anchor which you drop you anchor in the deep water and hope it catches and then tie a line to your stern and attach it to something on shore. We spent the a few days here checking out the town which is the capital of Dominica. Michael went scuba diving again and the highlight of the dive was seeing a seahorse.
From Roseau we headed 20 miles up the coast to Portsmouth. When we stopped here back July we met one of the boat guys and told him when we returned that we wanted to go on a tour up the Indian River. The next morning he picked us up and we proceeded up the river which you can only row your boat. It was an interesting trip and he told us all about the history of the river and the Carib Indians that used to live along the river banks. Pirates of the Caribbean ll was also filmed in the river.
It was now time to get to Antigua as the weather window was shortening up every day and we wanted to arrive with sometime to get the lay of the land before our guests arrive.
Comments
Vessel Name: More Mischief
Vessel Make/Model: Jeanneau Sunkiss 47
Hailing Port: EYC Toronto, Ontario
Crew: Michael Hall and Hilda Allward
About: The trip of the life time begins. I wonder if it will kill us...5 months or five years. Our 47 foot Jeanneau is to be our home for the next 5 years. At this stage is would be interesting to know what it would be like to spend 24/7 together.
Extra: Year three is about to start. We are heading back to Antigua to launch the boat and plan on cruising back up to St. Marten and then over to the Virgin Islands for the season.
Social:

Who: Michael Hall and Hilda Allward
Port: EYC Toronto, Ontario