Travels of Morning Light

06 February 2010 | Australia
25 November 2009 | Australia
02 October 2009 | New Caledonia
27 September 2009 | New Caledonia
06 September 2009 | Vanuatu
04 September 2009 | Vanuatu
25 August 2009 | Vanuatu
20 August 2009 | Vanuatu
18 August 2009 | Fiji
10 August 2009 | Fiji
23 June 2009 | Fiji
29 May 2009 | Fiji
12 May 2009 | New Zealand
06 May 2009 | Hobsonville, Auckland
03 April 2009 | New Zealand
11 November 2008 | New Zealand
03 November 2008 | Kingdom of Tonga
02 November 2008 | Kingdom of Tonga
23 October 2008 | Kingdom of Tonga

Mt Yasur

25 August 2009 | Vanuatu
Christine and Jaime
We are really looking forward to our trip to the volcano tonight. In the mean time, we receive an e-mail over the SSB from another boat, Bill and Janet on Airstream, saying that they are going to be in Port Resolution around midnight and would like our waypoints into the bay. We e-mail them back with the waypoints and pick a time for us to talk on the SSB as they are still too far away to talk on the VHF. We find out that they caught a large Wahoo and while they were getting it aboard, one of the jib sheets (lines) fell into the water and got tangled in their prop. They had to shut the engine down and Bill jumped into the water to see if he could cut the line off. Because of the sea conditions he was unable to get the line off and decided to wait until he got into the bay and anchored. We told him that because the wind was blowing out of the bay, he would not be able to sail in as it would be right on the nose. If he would hold off until morning, we could bring the dingy out beyond the reef and tie it to the side of his boat and hopefully pull them in through the pass. In the mean time, our volcano trip is postponed until the next night as our guide, Stanley is sick. The next morning the plan works out perfectly and we get Airstream in and securely anchored next to us. Bill then dives on his boat and sees a small crack next to where the strut that holds the prop is attached to the boat. He fills it with underwater glue a hopes for the best. Later their bilge pump keeps going off and they find a small leak in that same area inside the bilge. It's a slow leak, but speeds up when the engine in engaged. We had planned to leave for Port Vila the next morning but decide to wait a few more days while they do their clearance. That way we can buddy boat together and if the leak gets worse we will be close by. We are really enjoying their company anyway and Tanna has a magical feeling about it. So we don't mind staying a few more days. What's also great is that there is room in the back of the truck for them to join us on our volcano adventure. Mt Yasur is the most accessible volcano in the world . A short =BD hour 4WD up the side leaves us close enough for only a 15 to 20 min hike up to the rim. Although it is a pretty steep hike. The road on the way is filled with steam vents on each side. As we head up the path to the crater rim, there's whiffs of sulphur and whooshing roaring noises. Once on the rim we can look into the crater. The ground trembles and then a large bang that hurts your ears and a fountain of fiery magma shoots up high into the sky. Black smoke follows and then it relatively quite for a short while. Soon the fireworks start again. It is a terrifying but unforgettable experience. The rim of the crater is not that wide and is very steep on both sides. You don't want to fall the wrong way. The wind was also blowing quite hard and we didn't have anything to hold on to. We stayed until after dark as the show got quite spectacular. But soon we got pretty uncomfortable and were ready to leave. We had to use flashlights to head down the steep trail. It was a once in a lifetime experience, but one that we won't be doing again.
Comments
Vessel Name: Morning Light
Vessel Make/Model: Hylas 46
Hailing Port: San Diego
Crew: Jaime and Christine Tate
About:
Jaime and Christine both have strong ties to Hemet, Calif. having both graduated from Hemet High School the same year and have lived in the valley for almost 50 years. Jaime owned a real estate company for 30 years and Christine owned a womens clothing store for 31 years. [...]

Puerto Vallarta

Who: Jaime and Christine Tate
Port: San Diego