Travels of Morning Light

06 February 2010 | Australia
25 November 2009 | Australia
02 October 2009 | New Caledonia
27 September 2009 | New Caledonia
06 September 2009 | Vanuatu
04 September 2009 | Vanuatu
25 August 2009 | Vanuatu
20 August 2009 | Vanuatu
18 August 2009 | Fiji
10 August 2009 | Fiji
23 June 2009 | Fiji
29 May 2009 | Fiji
12 May 2009 | New Zealand
06 May 2009 | Hobsonville, Auckland
03 April 2009 | New Zealand
11 November 2008 | New Zealand
03 November 2008 | Kingdom of Tonga
02 November 2008 | Kingdom of Tonga
23 October 2008 | Kingdom of Tonga

Port Vila

04 September 2009 | Vanuatu
Christine
We stay a few more days in Port Resolution, Tanna, to wait for our friends on Airstream to do their clearance into the country. We don't mind as we are really loving it here. The slow leak that they have is not getting any worse, but we don't want to take any chances so we will buddy boat with them on the passage to Port Vila which is an overnight.
On Aug 25, we both pick up anchor and head north. The trip turns out to be a rather bumpy one, and with the wind directly behind us we are forced to put out the whisker pole on the head sail. Traveling wing on wing down wind in rough seas is not easy on the autopilot which uses a lot of amps, so without our generator we are forced to use the main engine to charge our batteries even though we have plenty of wind. We are all thankful that Airstream's leak doesn't get any worse on the trip. There is a haul out facility in Port Vila and Airstream makes an appointment to be hauled out so they can check and repair the damage caused when their jib sheet wrapped around their prop while catching what turns out to be a very expensive fish. We spend several days enjoying being back in civilization. Port Vila reminds us of Neiafu, Tonga. Boats are tied up to moorings as the bay is very deep. There are great restaurants, grocery stores, a huge vegi market and lots of services. We would like to stay longer, but we need to keep moving to see more islands further north before we return to join a rally to New Caledonia. The rally leaves from Port Vila on Sept. 26, but we need to return a week earlier to make our preparations.
On Sept 1, we leave Vila and anchor in nearby Havannah Harbour, which used to be the capital of Vanuatu. It is a hugh protected harbour and is famous for housing the US fleet during WWII. There is a war museum nearby and it is a great site to see the American Flag flying out front. We heard more than once that American's are considered their champion's as we saved them from the Japanese. It's great to be well liked and proud of our country. Havannah Harbour is an interesting stop, actually there is nothing there except a very small village on one side of the bay and a large garden area on the other.
We receive fresh vegi's daily from the locals, especially since Jaime helps out by transporting a dingy full of fruits and vegi's across the bay. Our evening entertainment is watching turtles feast on mangrove leaves that have clustered around our boat.
Our next stop is the island of Epi. The cruising guide desribes our first anchorage as one of the best in Epi. Well, you can't always believe what you read and our first anchorage turns out to be so rolly that neither one of us got much sleep. We get up early and can't wait to leave to see if we can find another more protected anchorage. The next anchorage was right around the corner and it was very protected and not even mentioned as an anchorage on the cruising guide. Sure wish we would have known the day before as we would have had plenty of time to make it there before dark. We are soon joined by our friends on Charisma and Airwego who are on their way to Port Vila. We spend a few days meeting the locals, snorkeling and taking walks on the beach. Some of the local boys ask us if we pick them up later and bring them to our boat, they will bring their special kava for a small ceremony. Not wanting to offend them, we agree. About 5pm Jaime gets a whistle from shore that signals that the guys are ready to be picked up. We end up having a great time even though their English was not that great. When they say that the Vanuatu kava and a lot stronger then Fiji's kava, they really mean it. Not only does it taste a lot stronger, the effects are also stronger. Our mouths were immediately numbed and we felt a little light headed after one glass. Jaime and I both looked at each other wondering what we have gotten ourselves into, and tried to figure out how we could get out of drinking any more of the potent stuff since they had spent a lot of time and work preparing the kava just for us. We compromised and ended up drinking more then we should have but not as much as they wanted us to. One of the younger boys who was not old enough to drink kava ( there is an 18 yr old age requirement ) had a great time playing with our binoculars as he had never seen a pair before. Amazing what we take for granted. The next morning Airwego and Charisma leave to head south back to Port Vila.
We say our goodbyes as now we don't know when we will ever see them again. Since Charisma is from Napa, Calif., they will plan a party there in a few years.
Comments
Vessel Name: Morning Light
Vessel Make/Model: Hylas 46
Hailing Port: San Diego
Crew: Jaime and Christine Tate
About:
Jaime and Christine both have strong ties to Hemet, Calif. having both graduated from Hemet High School the same year and have lived in the valley for almost 50 years. Jaime owned a real estate company for 30 years and Christine owned a womens clothing store for 31 years. [...]

Puerto Vallarta

Who: Jaime and Christine Tate
Port: San Diego