|Vessel Make/Model:||Hylas 49|
|Hailing Port:||Robinhood, Maine|
|Crew:||Susan and Jim AuBuchon|
|About:||Livin' the life - finally!|
After finishing the Baja Ha-Ha run to Cabo San Lucas without incident, we decided to head out the next day (as soon as all the Mexican paperwork was completed) to avoid a storm that was headed northward to the cape. We expected that we could outrun the storm winds by leaving Friday for Puerto Vallarta where we intended to leave the boat over the holidays. However, within a couple hours of our departure, the storm intensified, spreading gale-force winds further eastward and even getting itself designated as a named storm (Raymond). This caused us to head NE rather than SE until we could turn the corner and avoid the NE quadrant of the storm. This added perhaps another 6-8 hours to our trip, but we still got into PV on Sunday - never seeing anything more than 7-10 knots of wind. We enjoyed several days at a marina attached to a very nice resort (with great pools and a beach great for jumping in the surf). We're back in snow country now until the new year, but the warmth of our granddaughter's hugs makes up for the warmth we're missing in Mexico! And we even ate at the Vallarta Yacht Club - it's amazing where the Seattle Yacht Club has reciprocal privileges...
We arrived Thursday 11/14 after a beautiful overnight trip. We had porpoise join us along the way for a bit, and we were welcomed to the cape by a magnificent show of breaching whales. (Boy, those guys a BIG and make huge splashes!) As soon as the port agent has our paperwork Friday, we will be heading [...]
We arrived at 9pm Sunday after a good overnight (day and a half) sail (!) from Turtle Bay. Several boats sustained sail damage when a squall came through. Luckily, we missed that but still got the spectacular rainbow. We rested Monday and then enjoyed "watching" the Seahawks game (Gamecast on ESPN). [...]
We arrived early afternoon, about the tenth boat in. The others were either catamarans (fast sailers in light/flat conditions) or heavy displacement boats (including 2 other Hylas) who would rather motor than dawdle along in a zephyr. We'll probably see the rest overnight or in the morning. Not much to the town! Glad we're throwing our own beach party! First task: repairing the impeller on the outboard (that was supposedly all fixed... - now done); next: figure out why the bowthruster won't work again. (Voyaging is the art of boat repair in exotic locations!) On the menu tonight: Filet mignon - our reward.
Well, it started in August with the trip down the coast, but now we're on our way to San Diego, the Baja Ha-Ha, warm water and livin' the dream! We were slow out of the gate - almost a week longer in Ventura than planned - because of the malfunction of a key engine part (exhaust anti-siphon valve) that flooded the cylinders with water. With the assistance of an excellent mechanic, everything was put right again without apparent lasting damage to the engine. (The alternators' voltage regulators may have been damaged by the power surge - to be investigated further and possibly changed out when we reach San Diego.) For today, we're enjoying blue sky, warm breezes and being able to watch the scenery (including continued fires - that blanketed the boat with ash overnight). We hope to make San Diego by daybreak Saturday in time to welcome Kate and Skip aboard to join us and participate in the pre-start revelry.
Shortly after dawn Friday, we entered Ventura Harbor. completing our 1413 nautical mile journey from Washington. The last night was the most challenging, traversing the rig-strewn Santa Barbara Channel in fog, dodging a dredging barge, and having the chart plotter decide it was a good time to reboot [...]