MsChievous

Vessel Name: MsChievous
Vessel Make/Model: Hylas 49
Hailing Port: Robinhood, Maine
Crew: Susan and Jim AuBuchon
About: Livin' the life - finally!
16 August 2019 | Ventura, California
14 August 2019 | 14 miles west of Golden Gate bridge
13 August 2019 | 10 miles south of Point Arena; about 70 miles north of the Golden Gate
11 August 2019 | Eureka, California
10 August 2019 | 10 miles south of Coos Bay, Oregon
07 August 2019 | Friday Harbor
04 August 2019 | Neah Bay, Washington
04 August 2019 | Neah Bay, Washington
10 June 2019
28 March 2019
Recent Blog Posts
16 August 2019 | Ventura, California

Cheated Death - Once Again!

Shortly after dawn Friday, we entered Ventura Harbor. completing our 1413 nautical mile journey from Washington. The last night was the most challenging, traversing the rig-strewn Santa Barbara Channel in fog, dodging a dredging barge, and having the chart plotter decide it was a good time to reboot [...]

14 August 2019 | 14 miles west of Golden Gate bridge

Off Golden Gate

Had a great downwind sail yesterday - 8-9 knots under jib alone. The swells coming from the NW over the aft quarter made for a bit of a whrligig ride, though. Anchored just N of San Francisco at Pt. Reyes National seashore (very pretty!) and left at dawn to cross SF marine traffic lanes. Another blue sky day with fog/haze over the shore. (Probably won't see the bridge...) Waiting for the wind to fill in. Looks like my job for the day is to paint Susie's toe nails!

13 August 2019 | 10 miles south of Point Arena; about 70 miles north of the Golden Gate

Drama on the High Seas!

Within a couple hours of leaving Eureka, we had a nice 10-12 knot following breeze, so we started sailing - hooray!! We had a delightfully quiet lunch. Mid-afternoon, we hoisted the gennaker (a big spinnaker-like sail for sailing downwind. All was fine for 30 minutes, then we got a horrific wrap (actually [...]

11 August 2019 | Eureka, California

Trapped in Eureka

We had intended to tuck in, refuel, and head back out to sea since winds are forecast for today. However, the only fuel dock in town is closed on Sunday. Good grief! In summer?? This is really the last place to refuel unless we wanted to stop in San Francisco (which we don't) - and we have been using the engine constantly up to now - so we opted to stay here overnight. Surprisingly, it's only slightly more upscale than Neah Bay! Perfect spot for our leftover Costco roast! Weather remains great - sunny, not hot.

10 August 2019 | 10 miles south of Coos Bay, Oregon

At sea!

Our first two days out from Neah Bay have gone well. We have had very little wind and thus have been motoring, but we did get to augment that with a bit of motorsailing yesterday afternoon. Seas have been almost flat (swells only 1-2 ft). We've fallen into a good watch routine so we both get good rest at night: Susie takes 8 pm - 1 am; I take til 8 am. Afternoon naps welcomed! Enjoyed the rugged and spectacular Washington coast "around the corner" from Neah Bay! Also enjoyed a half dozen sea lions frolicking as we passed them. Food great; wine stores holding up well. We are planning to stop in northern California to refuel. Although we are likely to get some wind in a couple days,we'll want to have enough fuel to reach SoCal in case it doesn't fill in.

07 August 2019 | Friday Harbor

Let's try again

Friday Harbor? What are they doing there??? On our way to Neah Bay, we thought our AIS (automated identification system that lets us see other ships and them see us) and our VHF (marine) radio were not working properly. During our lay day (morning) in Neah Bay, we confirmed these problems and decided [...]

Cheated Death - Once Again!

16 August 2019 | Ventura, California
Jim AuBuchon
Shortly after dawn Friday, we entered Ventura Harbor. completing our 1413 nautical mile journey from Washington. The last night was the most challenging, traversing the rig-strewn Santa Barbara Channel in fog, dodging a dredging barge, and having the chart plotter decide it was a good time to reboot itself (all the way back to choosing a language!). Luckily the only engine hiccup was 10 minutes before we entered the harbor when the fuel filter decided it was time to be ehanged. (That's why there are two in the system - that problem only took 10 seconds to solve.) Among the joys of the last leg of the trip were a few more whales and a school of porpoise swimming along with us in our bow wake.

The marina here is nice - and, yes, ringed with palm trees. Tomorrow is a cookout here, so we are looking forward to meeting some of our new neighbors before heading back to Seattle and then to New Hampshire. Stay tuned for more exciting adventures soon!

Off Golden Gate

14 August 2019 | 14 miles west of Golden Gate bridge
Jim AuBuchon
Had a great downwind sail yesterday - 8-9 knots under jib alone. The swells coming from the NW over the aft quarter made for a bit of a whrligig ride, though. Anchored just N of San Francisco at Pt. Reyes National seashore (very pretty!) and left at dawn to cross SF marine traffic lanes. Another blue sky day with fog/haze over the shore. (Probably won't see the bridge...) Waiting for the wind to fill in. Looks like my job for the day is to paint Susie's toe nails!

Drama on the High Seas!

13 August 2019 | 10 miles south of Point Arena; about 70 miles north of the Golden Gate
Jim AuBuchon
Within a couple hours of leaving Eureka, we had a nice 10-12 knot following breeze, so we started sailing - hooray!! We had a delightfully quiet lunch. Mid-afternoon, we hoisted the gennaker (a big spinnaker-like sail for sailing downwind. All was fine for 30 minutes, then we got a horrific wrap (actually a double wrap - think hourglass) around the forestay. Shortly thereafter, the winds picked up to 25 knots, and wrestling with this sail on foredeck was, well, let's just say difficult. Ultimately we headed to shore to a small (somewhat) protected anchorage to sort it out. I ended up going up the mast for an hour as the sun set, and we finally got the sail down as darkness was falling. We slept there until 0230 and then headed out again. Currently, we are doing 7-8 knots in 20 knots of wind - without the gennaker!

Our plan is to stop tonight in a bay just north of the entrance to San Francisco Bay. We will then be able to cross those busy shipping lanes in the daylight. At present. We're hoping to make Ventura late Friday or Saturday.

Trapped in Eureka

11 August 2019 | Eureka, California
Jim AuBuchon
We had intended to tuck in, refuel, and head back out to sea since winds are forecast for today. However, the only fuel dock in town is closed on Sunday. Good grief! In summer?? This is really the last place to refuel unless we wanted to stop in San Francisco (which we don't) - and we have been using the engine constantly up to now - so we opted to stay here overnight. Surprisingly, it's only slightly more upscale than Neah Bay! Perfect spot for our leftover Costco roast! Weather remains great - sunny, not hot.

At sea!

10 August 2019 | 10 miles south of Coos Bay, Oregon
Jim AuBuchon
Our first two days out from Neah Bay have gone well. We have had very little wind and thus have been motoring, but we did get to augment that with a bit of motorsailing yesterday afternoon. Seas have been almost flat (swells only 1-2 ft). We've fallen into a good watch routine so we both get good rest at night: Susie takes 8 pm - 1 am; I take til 8 am. Afternoon naps welcomed! Enjoyed the rugged and spectacular Washington coast "around the corner" from Neah Bay! Also enjoyed a half dozen sea lions frolicking as we passed them. Food great; wine stores holding up well. We are planning to stop in northern California to refuel. Although we are likely to get some wind in a couple days,we'll want to have enough fuel to reach SoCal in case it doesn't fill in.

Let's try again

07 August 2019 | Friday Harbor
Jim AuBuchon
Friday Harbor? What are they doing there??? On our way to Neah Bay, we thought our AIS (automated identification system that lets us see other ships and them see us) and our VHF (marine) radio were not working properly. During our lay day (morning) in Neah Bay, we confirmed these problems and decided to return to civilization to get them fixed as they're both kinda important! That was accomplished this afternoon, so we're planning a nice Italian dinner out tonight and then heading back down the Strait of Juan de Fuca tomorrow morning, this time hopefully getting to the open ocean!

The only consolation is that yesterday's return sail was with a 25 knot following wind and a tidal push - great fun - and we got to see a gorgeous sunset and a spectacular deep red moonset before dropping anchor at 11 pm.

Wish us luck in finally heading for warm water!
Gallery Error: Unknown Album [1:]:43973
MsChievous's Photos -

About & Links