Born of the Sea

Preparing for a phased retirement on the sea. Muirgen (Gaelic for 'born of the sea')

22 April 2024
15 April 2024 | Marigot Bay, Saint Lucia
08 April 2024 | Saint Lucia National Parks
06 April 2024 | Rodney Bay / Gros Islet, Saint Lucia
31 March 2024 | Sainte Anne, Martinique
13 March 2024 | Iles des Saintes
10 March 2024 | Deshaies, Guadeloupe
03 March 2024 | Monserrat to Guadeloupe
02 March 2024 | Monserrat
29 February 2024 | Nevis
27 February 2024 | St Kitts
24 February 2024
20 February 2024
17 February 2024 | Jolly Harbour, Antigua
09 February 2024
08 February 2024 | Guadeloupe and Iles des Saintes

The Algarve

22 August 2021
Donna Cariss
After the exertions of the previous two days we were ready for something more relaxing. We departed Sagres at 9am and had the genoa up straight away, doing 5 knots. After 50 minutes the wind was easing so we put up the mainsail and had a lovely sail for half an hour before the wind died completely and the engine had to go on. We passed by small resorts with pretty white buildings reaching down the cliffs towards the sea, wherever there was a cutting. The cliffs were magnificent, all red sandstone, eroded to produce stacks and caves. There were quite a few boats anchored around the caves as well as trip boats coming from Lagos, our destination, just around the corner. We anchored off Lagos beach in 5 metres and settled down for lunch, before donning swimwear to relax in the cockpit. A quick dip in the sea to cool down, freezing again! We dried off in the sun and put up the canopy to keep us cool and prevent any burning. The Nortade (northerly wind) picked up again in the afternoon and continues to blow as I write this at 6pm. Hopefully it will ease before we settle for the night, as a decent night's sleep is well overdue. Tomorrow we plan to make the short trip to Portimao, where we may spend a night in the marina, do some washing, shopping and perhaps have a meal out.

I can now tell you that the wind, in Lagos, didn't drop overnight until the early hours and I didn't get the greatest of night's sleep, listening to the wind and halyards clanking. We departed Lagos at 0930 and managed a gentle sail for 35 minutes before the wind died and we were back to the engine, for 2 hours to Portimao. The approach was very pretty, with a small castle and old town on the eastern bank and the marina, with its colourful hotel rooms on the western bank. The staff in the marina office spoke excellent English and were very friendly and welcoming, even printing off extra copies of our insurance certificate for future use. We moored up in our allocated berth without incident. Time to do the washing then and have a shower and wash my hair, which was definitely ready for it. The washing was nearly done by the time we headed for the showers, as we met another English couple, Nigel and Janet and ended up chatting to them for half an hour. They had been crewing a yacht from Torquay to Portimau for a couple who were relocating there to live on their yacht but lacked the experience to cross Biscay. Nigel and Janet do this, free of charge and even pay for their own flights, as a way of getting sailing holidays. They never accept though if there is a strict timetable. After some lunch, we headed to the grocery store, close by the south end of the marina, to replenish our drinking water supplies. That was our only glimpse of the rather brash beach resort of Rochas da Mar. Not really our cup of tea! Around 5pm, when the worst heat of the day had subsided, we cycled to the Continente supermarket, about 2 miles away from the marina, to re-provision for another few nights at anchor. On the return journey, my baseball cap blew off and I nearly crashed the bike stopping to retrieve it. Earlier in the day, I had been on Google maps looking at restaurants for dinner and had identified L'Interdit as my favourite. It was situated in a more residential area, away from the tourist resort and beachfront. We walked the mile and luckily managed to get a table. I started with an aperol spritz, which was long, cool and refreshing. Pete had a large beer (no change there then!). We both chose the duck breast, with raspberries and risotto, which was beautiful. I couldn't resist having dessert, not that I am really a pudding girl but the limoncello ice cream with vodka was up my street. If you are ever in Portimau, I can recommend this restaurant and it was really quite cheap at €58 including a bottle of wine. We had a steady walk back to the boat, where we were joined by Janet and Nigel for a drink. Their friends didn't make it, unfortunately, as Mark had stubbed his toe and it looked to be broken.

After the late and boozy night, we didn't depart Portimao until after 1030 hours. We managed to sail for just over half an hour before the wind completely died and we had to resort to the engine again. Just after a lunch of bruschetta, I spotted something glinting in the sunshine, which kept disappearing. I pointed it out to Pete and we watched as it came closer. At about 250 metres, it was clearly a pod of Orca. Usually this would be a cause for celebration and a move in for a closer look. However, last Summer and this season, Orca have been approaching yachts and causing considerable damage to the rudders. There is a boat exclusion zone in the bay of Cadiz, for boats under 15m, to try to reduce the number of incidents. The Orca are not attacking the boats, as such but in an environment where they are now competing for food with humans, they have learned that fishing boats have long lines which catch tuna and that's an easy meal. Yachts have become the victims of that. So, having seen the Orca quite close by, we switched off the engine and the autohelm and sat quietly for ten minutes while they moved away and a few motor boats passed between us and them. We then continued on our way, keeping an eye open. We passed the resorts of Albufeira and Villamoura, with their high rise hotels and expensive marinas and headed towards the Cabo da Santa Maria, where you can head north west to Faro or north east to Olhao (pronounced 'ol ee how'). The tide was running through the entrance, creating a chop and many whirlpools and it was slow going as we headed round the Ilha da Culatra to anchor. The pilot book described the area as a nature reserve, which stunning bird life but also sail it was popular in Summer and there could be as many as 100 yachts anchored there. I am sure there were three times that many, as there were masts as far as the eye could see. Despite that, the place had a certain charm and the sunset was stunning. We didn't see any of the promised birdlife though. We sat in the cockpit and had a bit of an 80's music night and a couple of glasses of wine. Pete couldn't remember 'Wishing' by 'A Flock of Seagulls'!

We left quite early next morning, to catch the tide out of the river and through the piers. It was three hours before we had enough wind for a brief 30 minute sail. We were approaching the end of our sail through the Algarve and had a short ceremony to lower the Portuguese flag and raise the Spanish one, on the starboard side, as a courtesy to our host nations. Pete called ahead to confirm availability of a berth at Ayamonte, the marina on the Spanish side of the Rio Guadiana, which forms part of the border between Portugal and Spain. We chose the Spanish side because the marina on the Portuguese side is in the river and subject to the tidal currents, whereas the Spanish marina is not. Both marinas and towns looked beautiful and historic, on approach but more about that in the next instalment of the blog.
Comments
Vessel Name: Muirgen
Vessel Make/Model: Westerly Typhoon
Hailing Port: Hull
Crew: Donna and Peter Cariss
Muirgen's Photos - Main
No Photos
Created 1 April 2024
26 Photos
Created 22 March 2024
49 Photos
Created 22 March 2024
19 Photos
Created 22 March 2024
30 Photos
Created 3 March 2024
5 Photos
Created 3 March 2024
84 Photos
Created 3 March 2024
7 Photos
Created 3 March 2024
29 Photos
Created 4 February 2024
22 Photos
Created 4 February 2024
32 Photos
Created 24 January 2024
31 Photos
Created 24 January 2024
14 Photos
Created 27 December 2023
9 Photos
Created 11 September 2023
15 Photos
Created 11 September 2023
44 Photos
Created 11 September 2023
13 Photos
Created 9 August 2023
9 Photos
Created 9 August 2023
10 Photos
Created 9 August 2023
12 Photos
Created 9 August 2023
9 Photos
Created 19 July 2023
10 Photos
Created 19 July 2023
66 Photos
Created 14 July 2023
10 Photos
Created 14 July 2023
3 Photos
Created 24 May 2023
65 Photos
Created 20 September 2022
56 Photos
Created 9 July 2022
13 Photos
Created 7 July 2022
7 Photos
Created 18 April 2022
19 Photos
Created 3 April 2022
22 Photos
Created 3 April 2022
3 Photos
Created 10 September 2021
3 Photos
Created 10 September 2021
4 Photos
Created 2 October 2020
16 Photos
Created 26 September 2020
13 Photos
Created 23 September 2020
11 Photos
Created 27 August 2020
27 Photos
Created 25 August 2020
9 Photos
Created 25 August 2020
11 Photos
Created 18 August 2020
16 Photos
Created 15 August 2020
22 Photos
Created 15 August 2020
18 Photos
Created 10 August 2020
10 Photos
Created 7 August 2020
20 Photos
Created 3 August 2020
14 Photos
Created 3 August 2020
20 Photos
Created 27 July 2020
10 Photos
Created 26 July 2020
29 Photos
Created 18 July 2020
5 Photos
Created 18 July 2020
12 Photos
Created 18 July 2020
Photos of Muirgen preparations
8 Photos
Created 12 July 2020
39 Photos
Created 11 August 2017
52 Photos
Created 6 August 2017
35 Photos
Created 6 August 2017
10 Photos
Created 6 August 2017
26 Photos
Created 6 August 2017
4 Photos
Created 21 July 2017
13 Photos
Created 21 July 2017
14 Photos
Created 21 July 2017
5 Photos
Created 21 July 2017
10 Photos
Created 21 July 2017
6 Photos
Created 21 July 2017
13 Photos
Created 21 July 2017
30 Photos
Created 1 July 2017
15 Photos
Created 23 June 2017
Photos are limited as the weather was dreadful and was mostly a white out. Photos are from the phone as too wet to take the cameras.
10 Photos
Created 19 June 2017
9 Photos
Created 17 June 2017
11 Photos
Created 15 June 2017
17 Photos
Created 15 June 2017
The Beautiful Kvitsoy
5 Photos
Created 5 June 2017
Weekend with Hommersak Divers at Kvitsoy
8 Photos
Created 5 June 2017
13 Photos
Created 30 May 2017
Mad creatures
16 Photos
Created 29 May 2017
Getting to Norway and waiting for Donna to fly out
6 Photos
Created 18 May 2017
12 Photos
Created 6 December 2016
Buying Muirgen
6 Photos
Created 26 November 2016