The Adventures of SV Mulan

09 October 2010 | Vancouver
14 September 2010 | Semiahmoo Marina, Blaine, WA
12 September 2010
12 September 2010
12 September 2010
11 September 2010 | 145 miles from Cape Flattery
10 September 2010
06 September 2010
04 September 2010
03 September 2010
01 September 2010
29 August 2010
27 August 2010 | still in the pacific
26 August 2010 | The pacific
24 August 2010 | heading NW!
20 August 2010 | Hawaii YC, Honolulu
16 August 2010 | Hawaii YC, Honolulu
15 August 2010 | Hawaii YC, Honolulu
12 August 2010 | Hawaii YC, Honolulu
12 August 2010 | Hawaii YC, Honolulu

Memories of Mazatlan

29 November 2009 | Mazatlan
Andrew
Actually we are still here, sitting poolside at El Cid Marina, as the lure of the pool and other amenities were more appealing than the indicated forecast of 10-20kts on the nose heading south. There were even about 17 raindrops this morning.
Mazatlan is hustle-ville. If they can't pitch you a free tour (aka a real estate pitch to a captive audience) then numerous restaurant coupons are thrust into your reluctant fists. Every camioneta (small, open Japanese pick-ups with bench seats in the back) or pulmonia (hybrid VW beetles that have almost, but not quite, morphed into golf carts) driver wants you as a passenger, and every restaurant, from the tourist focused to the local eateries at the mercado are on the look out for business.
Once you immunize yourself to the hustle, it is a pleasant place. Lots of package tourists, especially during the US Thanksgiving period, and the mostly ugly hotels to accommodate them, but beyond them in the old town, the opportunity to visit the buildings and plazas of the old town, eat local food (the liquados, aka smoothies are huge, affordable and divine), and hang out with Mexican folks. At one stage we were swarmed by a group of school kids, determined to practice their English, and hang out with who they thought were movie stars!
We've hiked the hill to the lighthouse, ridden on all forms of local transport, and provisioned everywhere from the local corner store, to the mercado and the new hypermarket. All have their own merits. The boys have swum in the surf on multiple beaches, and enjoyed all the pools at the marina. Maybe it's time to move on before troppo madness, or even gringo inertia take hold.
Picture is of us lunching at the Mazatlan mercado, with a camioneta in the foreground.
Comments
Vessel Name: Mulan
Vessel Make/Model: Grand Soleil 39
Hailing Port: Vancouver, Canada
Crew: The Parr Family
About: Susan - Captain; Andrew - First Officer; Jack - Bosun & Cruise Director; Sam - Communications Officer; Max - Purser
Extra: Don't dream it - do it. The sailing adventure of the Parr family aboard SV Mulan.

SV Mulan

Who: The Parr Family
Port: Vancouver, Canada