The Adventures of SV Mulan

09 October 2010 | Vancouver
14 September 2010 | Semiahmoo Marina, Blaine, WA
12 September 2010
12 September 2010
12 September 2010
11 September 2010 | 145 miles from Cape Flattery
10 September 2010
06 September 2010
04 September 2010
03 September 2010
01 September 2010
29 August 2010
27 August 2010 | still in the pacific
26 August 2010 | The pacific
24 August 2010 | heading NW!
20 August 2010 | Hawaii YC, Honolulu
16 August 2010 | Hawaii YC, Honolulu
15 August 2010 | Hawaii YC, Honolulu
12 August 2010 | Hawaii YC, Honolulu
12 August 2010 | Hawaii YC, Honolulu

Paradise, revisited

23 June 2010 | Opunohu Bay, Moorea
Andrew
What a pleasure to be gone from Papeete! The crossing was feisty - 15 to 20 knots, but a fast reach across the 20 miles or so that separates the islands of Tahiti and Moorea. We left one day ahead of the cruisers rally in order to beat the crowds, and as it turned out, we also beat the weather, as the following day it was 25 to 30 knots. The anchorage in Opunohu Bay is very pleasant, but was a tad congested with 48 boats in it. In normal conditions 20 would be a comfortable number, but as the wind was strong, there was little swinging happening.
The Rally itself was impacted by the weather - the canoe races and other fun activities were very damp, although the Strawberry Monkey Yacht Club kids team #2won the kids race, and the older folks put up a strong showing against canoes stacked with young guys. A number of teams managed to capsize the out-rigger canoes, which added to the entertainment! We opted out of the meals, which by most reports were over priced and not worth it. Actually the whole event, despite being recommended by previous cruisers, could easily be skipped, and if you cruised a few days ahead of it, you'd have many less crowded anchorages to enjoy.
The past couple of days have been busy. We enjoyed a day excursion in the Oso Blanco tender to visit the stingrays - these beasties have become accustomed to being fed for the enjoyment of the tourist trade, and flock to the sound of outboards in search of food. Even though we decline to feed the wildlife, this did not preclude us from jumping in a enjoying the stingray petting zoo. Rather like patting giant swimming jellos.
After our trial Scuba dive in Fakarava, we spent some time in Papeete emailing all the dive centres in the Societies. Our preference was for a PADI affiliated operation, as we discovered that they offer a Junior Open Water Diver certification. We unearthed Bathy's/Top Dive, which operate out of multiple locations in the Tuamotus and the Societies, so Jack and I have spent the last 2 days doing the first 2 dives of the PADI program. We will complete the course in Bora Bora, at which time Sam will have turned 10, and he will also be able to do the course. Our fist two "confined water dives" were done, not is a pool as is the norm, but in the lagoon. At times we had to wave away the reef fish so that we could see what the instructor was demonstrating. Also really neat to see a sea turtle strut his/her stuff along the floor of the lagoon. Any future puddle jumpers who do not yet scuba dive should consider Top Dive. Their structure enables you to learn to dive and do the training dives at multiple locations. What a deal!
Tomorrow evening we will likely do an over-nighter to Huahine. As we are in the last month, we need to watch the calendar, and now with the added incentive of getting to Bora Bora on or soon after Sam's B-day on July 9.
Cheers, Team Mulan
Comments
Vessel Name: Mulan
Vessel Make/Model: Grand Soleil 39
Hailing Port: Vancouver, Canada
Crew: The Parr Family
About: Susan - Captain; Andrew - First Officer; Jack - Bosun & Cruise Director; Sam - Communications Officer; Max - Purser
Extra: Don't dream it - do it. The sailing adventure of the Parr family aboard SV Mulan.

SV Mulan

Who: The Parr Family
Port: Vancouver, Canada