Peter, Heloisa and Auke cruising Westwards around the globe with s/v Mundinho

Our position is updated regularly. Click on Current Position (right side) to find out where we are.

18 December 2012 | Shelter Bay Panama
28 November 2012
19 August 2012 | Panama city BYC
14 August 2012 | 7 34.734'N:78 11.947'W, Bahia Pina, Panama
04 August 2012 | 1 48.992'N:78 43.717'W, Tumaco - Colombia
29 July 2012 | 8 24.0264'N:79 04.9178'W, Isla Pedro Gonzalez - Archipel Las Perlas
23 July 2012 | Panama city
21 July 2012 | Colon, Panama
17 July 2012 | Colon, Panama
10 July 2012 | 9 35.228'N:78 52.950'W, Chichime
29 June 2012 | 9 35.346'N:78 40.542'W, Kalugir Tupu and Banedup
26 June 2012 | 9 35.191'N:78 44.751'W, Miriadiadup
24 June 2012 | 9 35.231'N:78 52.839'W, Uchutupu Pippi
21 June 2012 | 9 32.722'N:78 53.754'W, Cay Limon
15 June 2012 | Colon Panama
13 June 2012 | Shelter BAy, Colon Panama
11 June 2012
08 June 2012
06 June 2012 | Shelter Bay, Colon Panama
04 June 2012 | Shelter Bay, Colon Panama

Waterlocks and route planning

06 June 2012 | Shelter Bay, Colon Panama
Peter via Internet


Another day without Heloisa and Auke. Very quiet on board. On one hand it is good, the whole boat for myself. On the other hand it is quite, very quiet. I miss going snorkeling with Auke and doing a sundowner with Heloisa. I even miss making her my infamous coffee she always asks for and never finishes. The marina is quiet each day more. As most cruisers who want to cross the Pacific with destination Australia or New Zealand must be underway by now, to cover the distance at reasonable pace. Since we do not plan to reach New Zealand this year 2012 and plan to hang around the Marquises and Tahiti for the cyclone season which is from November to March we have plenty of time to reach the Marquises. The best months actually to do the 2900 Nm run from Galapagos to the Marquises or Gambier Islands are July, August and September due to the very consistent winds both in strength and direction. The remainder of the year the SE Pacific trade winds are actually not so steady and at times quite fluky, especially when compared to the very solid Atlantic trade winds. Although it is likely going to be the Marquises, we have not made up our mind for the 100%. The other option we are contemplating is the Gambier islands groups. It is the same distance and a course about 20 degrees more South for the Gambier Islands compared to a heading for the Marquises.



We would love to go there, the only reason we likely will head for the Marquises is that I expect it easier to find good anchorages for longer periods, as we need to cover the period of the cyclone season. Anyway, we still have some weeks to read and study about both island groups. Another option is to head for the Gambier first and then cross with the winds on the beam the 800 Nm to the Marquises. Many possibilities and probably what I like most of the cruising around the world is the trip planning, studying of maps and pilots. Searching over small scale maps, finding tiny islands, or tiny bays, and then read up about it, finding the large scale maps covering that particular area and finding out whether it is possible to find good anchor spots there, and how to get in there.

Departing from Panama we likely will head South first, make a stop at Isla Malpelo (Columbian) and then head further South to Ecuador. Have a short break and subsequently head West covering the 500Nm to Galapagos. A cruising friend Ian emailed us just after his arrival on the Galapagos, it had taken him 15 days to get there. He had steered West first and only realized it much later that currents would be against him, in every subsequent days lower winds. With us heading for Ecuador upon departure of Panama I feel we will fare better.

Besides all the cruising planning (planning is the nice part, as it allows you to dream. The execution is different, as it brings the stress of actually doing it including a boat that never stops moving at sea) daily chores consist currently of maintaining the boat. The watermaker is installed. I cannot run and test it however as the engine waterlock in the exhaust line was perforated due to corrosion. Luckily it was corrosion from the outside and localized. The waterlock / muffler is located right underneath the shaft seal. The shaft seal is dripping very slightly. This is not a bad thing, as it ensures it stay flooded with water, necessary for cooling the seal. The drip runs to the bottom of the waterlock box and there drop off into the bilge. The point where they dropped off the waterlock the place was corroded 100% through. Good I found out now and not underway on the 3000 Nm to the Pacific islands. However I was starting to scratch my head how to fix it, as here in Colon I was unable to find marina grade aluminum and a welder who could weld it. There is an aluminum workboat in the marina and today I noticed several guys working on it, including welding in the engine room on the hull. So in the afternoon I went over there with my waterlock / muffler and they quickly agreed to fix it for me for 40 USD and a six pack of beer. That was a quick fix with excellent marine grade aluminum, so on top of the 40 USD I got them 2 six packs of beer and everyone was happy. The "Chefe" (boss) of the work team was walking around the marina somewhere and this had to go between myself and them, so they did the job inside the engine room of the workboat, just as if it was a part of the workboat project.





If you wonder what the cooler box is doing next to the waterlock, that was holding the two sixpacks of beer. As the chefe could not find out, they had to stay in the cooler box till he was not around. In the end everyone happy.

Tomorrow I start working on the sails, some adjustments I want to make. Evening meals are still a problem. I am not going to tell Heloisa, however my cooking is not progressing well. So far I have not progressed beyond sandwiches and chicken curry in the marina restaurant. I am determined however to improve on that. I should be able to cook something. Pasta it will be tomorrow, no matter how hot it is inside the galley.



Comments
Vessel Name: Mundinho
Vessel Make/Model: Koopmans 42 - Ketch - Alu Centerboard
Hailing Port: Harlingen - Holland
Crew: Peter, Heloisa and Auke
About: We are a family of three, a rather international get together with myself being Dutch, my lovely wife being Brazilian and our 7 year old son who carries a Dutch and Brazilian citizenship
Extra: You can follow us here during our two year sailing trip that will take us together via the Caribbean and the Islands in the Pacific to New Zealand. Beyond that I will take Mundinho to Europe solo.
Home Page: www.sv-mundinho.com

Family of three travelling West Bound (slowly)

Who: Peter, Heloisa and Auke
Port: Harlingen - Holland
Peter and Heloisa and their 7 year old son Auke are traveling with their sailing vessel a Koopmans 42. On this blog you can find updates regularly posted of their preparation and trip itself. Feel free to leave a message or raise a question if you have any for Peter and Heloisa.
A family of three cruising with Mundinho around the globe