m/v Medora South to Georgia - 2007/2008

10 May 2008 | Norfolk, Va
05 May 2008
17 April 2008
25 March 2008
13 March 2008
26 February 2008
07 February 2008
31 January 2008
29 January 2008
18 January 2008 | Broad Creek
16 January 2008 | Broad Creek
07 January 2008
29 December 2007
29 December 2007
21 December 2007
21 December 2007
19 December 2007

Turnaround

25 March 2008
Top: Alligator sunning on bank of Satilla River Bottom:Jekyll Island Clubhouse

On 3/11 we ventured up the Satilla River to about 5 miles above Woodbine to Owens Ferry where we anchored for a few days. The trip up the Satilla was problem free, but since there are no markers we depended on our PC charting software to stay in deep water. Above Woodbine while at anchor for two days we saw only one other vessel.. The county Sheriff cruised by, approached, did not ask to board but politely inquired as to where we were from and how long we planned to stay. He recommended Capt Stans an excellent barbecue restaurant about one mile from the Woodbine boat/launch waterfront park. He further invited us to tie up on the floating dock at the park. After tying up at the dock we hoofed the long mile to Capt Stans our mouths watering for some good barbecue. As we approached exhausted the aroma was terrific, but we arrived five minutes too late. Capt Stan closed at 3:00 to reopen at 5:00!! We did buy bread on the way back to the boat and had Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwiches!
We left Woodbine on 3/16 and began our trek back North stopping one night and anchoring in Dover Creek. It was here we watched (on HDTV!) the PGA/Palmer classic final round which Woods won on the 18th with a birdie.. what a finish!! We then took a slip in Brunswick Ga at Brunswick Landing Marina and while there rented a car so we could visit Jekyll Island and St Simons. The first day was our anniversary so we celebrated by having an excellent dinner in Brunswick at "Cargo" rated as one of the top 10 restaurants in Ga. The service was friendly, attentive and the food creative, tasty and attractively served. Brunswick within walking distance from the marina has a healthy and prosperous downtown area with a main street including a small park in each block and many boutique shops and restaurants.
We departed Brunswick after three nights to continue north. In the St Simon's Sound the weather and winds changed our minds so we took a small detour south to anchor in Jekyll Creek and have protection from the winds expected that night. The next day we motored north to the Folly River where we stayed two days including Easter Sunday. On Sunday, Elaine made a fine leg of lamb dinner and some candy was left by the Easter Bunny. On Monday we heard from Tom & Joyce ..they are in Staniel Cay expecting to go to Elutheria next.
Comments
Vessel Name: Medora
Vessel Make/Model: 34' Marine Trader raised PH
Hailing Port: Chesapeake/Sassafras River
Crew: Dave and Elaine Stanton with Capt Nemo
About: Former career IT professionals. Now retired, full time cruisers traveling the East Coast from the Chesapeake Bay to the Bahamas. Currently on our fifth trip on the ICW.
Extra:
In 2000-2001 went to Marsh Harbor and visited various ports in the Abacos on our 32' Westsail "Chop". In 2003-2004 We traveled South from the Chesapeake to Florida and cruised the length of the St Johns river on our present boat m/v Medora. For views of our boat use the link [...]

Who: Dave and Elaine Stanton with Capt Nemo
Port: Chesapeake/Sassafras River