m/v Medora South to Georgia - 2007/2008

10 May 2008 | Norfolk, Va
05 May 2008
17 April 2008
25 March 2008
13 March 2008
26 February 2008
07 February 2008
31 January 2008
29 January 2008
18 January 2008 | Broad Creek
16 January 2008 | Broad Creek
07 January 2008
29 December 2007
29 December 2007
21 December 2007
21 December 2007
19 December 2007

North thru SC

17 April 2008
Pix above are views taken on Skidaway Island, SC.

4/17/08
On the Tuesday after Easter we left the Folly River and motored North on the ICW and turned off into the Crescent River. Our Nobeltec Chartplotting software indicated some limited shoaling at the first bend in the river.. but feeling somewhat safe at high tide and in the middle of the river we proceeded. Big mistake.. we watched the depthfinder go from 12ft to 10 ft ..then 8 ft then 6ft as fast as one can say it! We went aground apparently as I was turning because the stern was in three feet of water( 1/2 of a boat pole) and the bow was in � of a boat pole. After several minutes of attempted manuevering we finally managed to get free by applying forward power in a fore and aft pulsed manner. We then anchored about a quarter of a mile away and in several hours at low tide, a large uncharted sand bar appeared about 2 feet above where we went aground revealing an ugly sideways trench in the sand and a forward trench where we eventually plowed free. About a quarter mile away we anchored opposite a ranch which had grazing Steers and Hogs. We found out later from a passing local boater that the island is accessible by boat only and is maintained by the owner as a facility for hunters.
Because of expected bad weather and little protection on the Crescent River we decided to go back on the ICW south and anchor in New Teakettle Creek for a few days. Then with another weather change we moved to the Wahoo River for protection from expected winds out of the North. We stayed here for several days.. did some boat projects.. brightwork, always some brightwork to do. Answered e-mail and did some reading. While here I ordered a new boatside shorepower outlet from Defender to replace an outlet with a burned pin, to be delivered to Delegal Marina by Friday. It is amazing that for the entire trip we have had nearly continuous cell phone access and HDTV!
On 4/2 we traveled a few miles north and anchored in Cane Patch Creek. Dejas vu.. we anchored here in the same creek in 4/1 to 4/3/2005.
On the 3rd we went to Delegal Creek Marina at the lower end of Skidaway Island. Skidaway arguably the most beautiful of Georgia's Golden Isles includes several golf courses and beautiful homes that seem blend in and be a natural part of the forested surroundings. While there, the marina gave us the use of a six passenger Golf Cart to travel through the community on Golf cart/jogging paths. See pix above.
We left Skidaway on the 5th and traveled approximately 17 miles to the Herb River then on to Bull Creek where we are anchored with four other boats. The migration North is beginning!
For four days we stayed in the Beaufort area including a visit to the Downtown Marina. Beaufort is a picturesque southern town with an historic district and an adjacent beautiful park with the waterfront on one side and restaurants on the other. Departing Beaufort we moved along for a series of days and anchored overnight in places again that we visited traveling down.. Tom Point Creek (watched Masters here in HDTV!), Whiteside Creek, South Santee River and where we are now in Prince Creek (two alligators spotted nearby, sunning on banks). Tomorrow..possibly into NC.
Comments
Vessel Name: Medora
Vessel Make/Model: 34' Marine Trader raised PH
Hailing Port: Chesapeake/Sassafras River
Crew: Dave and Elaine Stanton with Capt Nemo
About: Former career IT professionals. Now retired, full time cruisers traveling the East Coast from the Chesapeake Bay to the Bahamas. Currently on our fifth trip on the ICW.
Extra:
In 2000-2001 went to Marsh Harbor and visited various ports in the Abacos on our 32' Westsail "Chop". In 2003-2004 We traveled South from the Chesapeake to Florida and cruised the length of the St Johns river on our present boat m/v Medora. For views of our boat use the link [...]

Who: Dave and Elaine Stanton with Capt Nemo
Port: Chesapeake/Sassafras River