MV Shearwater

08 September 2013 | Kitchen Table
06 September 2013 | Admiralty Inlet
06 September 2013 | Mid Pacific
06 September 2013 | Off Oregon coast
06 September 2013 | Neah Bay
05 September 2013 | 47 42.7'N:125 27.6'W, 50nm from Wa entrance
04 September 2013 | 45 44.9'N:127 41.5'W, 197nm from Wa entrance
03 September 2013 | 43 51.3'N:130 07.0'W, 350nm from Wa entrance
02 September 2013 | 42 18.2'N:132 43.2'W, 498nm from Wa
01 September 2013 | 40 47.1'N:135 11.7'W, 636 nm from Wa
31 August 2013 | 40 23'N:138 20'W, 754 nm from Wa
30 August 2013 | 39 42.4'N:141 25.8'W, 882nm from Wa
29 August 2013 | 38 50.3'N:144 27.3'W, 1021nm from Wa
28 August 2013 | 37 18.7'N:146 40.4'W, 1160 nm from Wa
27 August 2013 | 34 41.2'N:148 30.1'W, 1292 nm from Wa
26 August 2013 | 34 11.0'N:150 23.5'W, 1420 nm from Wa
25 August 2013 | 32 25.1'N:152 21.8'W, 1565nm from Wa
24 August 2013 | 27 25.9'N:153 57.0'W, 1706 nm from Wa
23 August 2013 | 27 25.9'N:153 57.0'W, 1893 nm from Wa
23 August 2013 | 24 57.9'N:154 31.8'W, NE of Hawaii


03 September 2013 | 43 51.3'N:130 07.0'W, 350nm from Wa entrance
David C
Position and Weather Report

Position: Lat: 43 deg 51.3" Long: 130 deg 07.0 "

Predicted 24h position: Lat: 44deg 40.3" Long: 127deg 01.9 "

COG: 076 deg SOG: 6.5kts

Baro: 1007mb 24h range:1006-1008mb Wind: SW 15 kts 24h range:13-28kts Waves WSW 2 M Sails furled Present gph 2.5

Clouds:60% cumulus frequent squalls

Summary: Feel a bit like a storm chaser. Yesterday was much better but this morning we had 25+kts on the beam with uncomfortable roll. This afternoon is much improved with 12-18 kts on our port quarter. I see from GRIB files that the low persists. Lee, when would you turn North with the current prediction? I think we've had enough fun with this unnamed but persistant low pressure system! Thanks!

24h summary Fuel used:60g Gal/hr2.5 Fuel at destination:1092g Distance made good:147nm Ave. Speed:6.1kts MPG:2.5 Fuel remaining:1248g Max range:3058nm Range to Destination:382nm Reserve Range:2676

Well, we keep trying to point North to head directly to the entrance to the Strait only to be rebuffed by the persistant low pressure system. Yesterday afternoon and evening were pretty good but this morning we had winds above 25 kts directly on the beam which made for an uncomfortable ride. So we are back to an Eastward heading with hopes that winds will be favorable by tomorrow or Thursday to make our final ocean passage up the coast. On this heading the conditions are great and predictions are that it will weaken significantly. (have you heard that before?)

Everything else on board is great. I won again at our daily hearts game and now have a big target firmly planted mid forehead. (beginner's luck) Sighting of the day was an ocean sunfish swimming sideways with its floppy pectoral fins breaking the surface. Still waiting for signs of albacore before a final full court press. Wish we had canning equipment although I might have to sell the boat immediately on arrival if we turned the saloon into a slime line and the aft stateroom into a fish hold.

Everybody is in great spirits and we will likely barbecue tonight and maybe watch a movie. Our celestial is getting marginally better although we are still +/- 5-10 miles from the GPS but that may not be too bad with the conditions we have been working with. We can certainly locate ourselves in the North Pacific. (just joking)

Hope to have a better ETA by tomorrow.
Vessel Name: Shearwater
Vessel Make/Model: Seahorse Marine Diesel duck 462
Hailing Port: Avatiu, Cook Islands
Crew: Dave C, Dave N, Roger R, Wade B John M, Mark R

Who: Dave C, Dave N, Roger R, Wade B John M, Mark R
Port: Avatiu, Cook Islands