SV - My Cay -

All Who Wander Are Not Lost

08 February 2017
25 December 2016
23 December 2016
21 December 2016
12 December 2016
08 December 2016 | Bimini Sands Marina, South Bimini, Bahamas
08 November 2016 | Boot Key Harbor, Marathon Key, FL
04 November 2016
29 October 2016
20 October 2016
17 October 2016

Key West and Boot Key Harbor

04 November 2016
We are through the first week! Hard to believe it’s only been a week, at times it feels so much longer. Time stands still a bit more when you don’t have the constant communication of the world around you…for example…Congrats to the Cubs for winning the World Series…I had no idea until this morning!

After leaving Bradenton in the early morning hours, we sailed down the West Coast of Florida headed for Key West. Our plan was to stop in Key West and recharge for a few days, be tourists and savor our first leg. Down the coast we went, ticking off the miles under a solid Northeast breeze and small seas. Around dinner time as the sun was setting, we reefed back the main to make sure that the overnight run would be less hectic….sleep was not coming easy to anyone. Around 3am, as we were some 40 miles from land and in the Straights of Florida, the wind picked up to about 20 and seas gained some height to about 5 feet. Bonnie and my Dad were on the 3am to 6am watch, while I tried to get some sleep. They said at points we were doing 9 knots as we were coming down waves….so around 6am I took us a bit inland figuring the wind was going to stay up and we were all getting really tired.

The arrival into Key West was a piece of cake and just as we reached the dock…the autohelm failed. Looking underneath the rudder quadrant, we discovered that the “arm” the controls the autohelm ripped from the bolts! Yes, it had indeed been a tough ride! We spent the day fixing the autohelm and everything is sound.
While in Key West, we visited the CG Ship Ingham, Fort Taylor, Hemmingway’s House, Truman’s Little White House and even the Southernmost Point. True tourists with camera in tow and walking all over the place.

On Thursday morning, right on que, the North winds eased just enough for us to make the 40 mile trek north to Boot Key Harbor in Marathon Key. We had to motor in order to make it there in 8 hours…sailing against the tide and upwind would have taken us much longer and I wanted to make sure we arrived in this harbor with plenty of daylight.

Approaching Boot Key is easy, just look for the famed 7 Mile Bridge and Boot Key is tucked just to the right…but of course there is some fun stuff too! As you enter the channel, depths drop to 9-12 feet and it is very narrow. As you travel through the outer channel, you press up against mangroves on one side, passing by a couple of marinas and then look up at the old Boot Key Drawbridge. The span has been removed…but what had our attention was the cable that was running across high up in the air. It is charted as being 65 feet in the air….our mast stands at 62 feet for clearance….I slowed to a crawl and inched closer with Bonnie and Dad trying to see how much we had to spare. The cable does sag right in the middle…..but as we crept closer the mast slid below the cable by about 2 feet.

Into the harbor we went, making an easy landing on a mooring ball and shutting down the boat from the 8 hour slog upwind. Tonight was the first night we were away from land, on our own and self-contained. As dinner cooked on the grill, we watched a beautiful sunset and enjoyed the peace of the harbor.

Looking at the weather forecast for the next several days, it appears we will be here for a bit. I figure we will be here for at least a week…maybe a bit longer. Our next leg is about 135 miles across the Gulf Stream and into Bimini, Bahamas. With all of the North winds that are forecasted….we just have to wait for the wind to change direction. The combination of winds going against Gulf Stream current will bring seas up to 10 feet….something we don’t want.

So, we sit and wait.
Comments
Vessel Name: My Cay
Vessel Make/Model: 1989 47' Jeanneau Sun Kiss
Hailing Port: Bradenton, FL
Crew: Jim & Bonnie Terkelsen and Part Time Crew Russ Terkelsen
About:
Originally hailing from New England, Bonnie and I worked our way south to Florida back in 2005. A job change and looking to escape the cold New England winters, we landed in the Bradenton/Sarasota area. I have been a life long sailor and sailing coach, while Bonnie took up serious sailing in 2014. [...]
Extra:
My Cay was purchase from the former owner in Fort Lauderdale and sailed over to the West Coast back in October of 2014. The boat orginally sailed from Europe and has made the Trans Atlantic crossing. Once here, she was sold in south Florida to Micheal and subsequently, us. While she was set up [...]
Social:
My Cay's Photos - Main
14 Photos
Created 28 March 2017
23 Photos
Created 26 March 2017
11 Photos
Created 2 March 2017
3 Photos
Created 1 March 2017
5 Photos
Created 28 February 2017
26 Photos
Created 24 February 2017
27 Photos
Created 21 February 2017
12 Photos
Created 17 February 2017
17 Photos
Created 14 February 2017
3 Photos
Created 13 February 2017
20 Photos
Created 10 February 2017
25 Photos
Created 31 January 2017
20 Photos
Created 22 January 2017
9 Photos
Created 20 January 2017
6 Photos
Created 18 January 2017
58 Photos
Created 15 January 2017
11 Photos
Created 4 January 2017
40 Photos
Created 28 December 2016
Christmas 2016
29 Photos
Created 25 December 2016
11 Photos
Created 23 December 2016
14 Photos
Created 22 December 2016
29 Photos
Created 14 December 2016
22 Photos
Created 11 December 2016
Boot Key Harbor; Marathon Marina (for repairs)
39 Photos
Created 22 November 2016
18 Photos
Created 8 November 2016
47 Photos
Created 16 July 2016