SV - My Cay -

All Who Wander Are Not Lost

08 February 2017
25 December 2016
23 December 2016
21 December 2016
12 December 2016
08 December 2016 | Bimini Sands Marina, South Bimini, Bahamas
08 November 2016 | Boot Key Harbor, Marathon Key, FL
04 November 2016
29 October 2016
20 October 2016
17 October 2016

Toilet Talk

08 November 2016 | Boot Key Harbor, Marathon Key, FL
Since we are sitting in Marathon Key waiting on a few items, as well as the weather to turn favorable for a Gulf Stream crossing, you begin to have time to take notice of other parts of cruising life. Just the other day, Bonnie and I made the round trip dinghy ride into the showers/bath house. For those who have camped, think of the bath house in a campground….and the thoughts that run through your mind when you enter for the first time. The anticipation kills you. Will it be clean, is the water hot, will there be a bench for my stuff…heck, will there be a door on the toilet. The same happens with each new arrival to a marina or anchorage with bath house access. Here is what I have surmised in my travels so far and in past experiences in the Caribbean.

It appears that the general rule is, “the farther you go from home, the more primitive it becomes.” In your own home, it’s the ultimate luxury. Hot showers, you know who cleaned them, soap, light and usually plenty of room to navigate gracefully in the buff if need be. Easy enough.

Your home marina. Usually, you do a bit of homework and look into the amenities of your home marina. So, assuming you have made a good a choice, here’s what you get. A “suite” style bathroom with shower, sink and toilet. Plenty of hot water, good lighting, maybe a hair dryer is included for the ladies. Air conditioning is present, things are clean and you generally have a pretty good idea of who is using them, since you pass by the same people daily in your home marina. It’s a bit like being in college and living in the dorm. You learn the rest of the floors routine and know when the good times are to “hot the showers”.

Key West marinas. I have to say, we were lucky at A + B Marina, but there were some subtle changes from Twin Dolphin. The walk to the showers was a bit more exciting. For one, all the crazies in Key West are walking around, cocktails in hand. You pass by a few bars and restaurants and walk by people eating right by the entrance to the showers….”hello, what are you eating that looks so good, hope you like my stench!” Once inside the coded door with your secret key, your luxury awaits you…almost. Louvered doors, ceiling fans and open ceilings. Ah yes…no we are getting to camping style. Still a “suite”, with a toilet, shower and sink…and the oh so present hair dryer for the ladies. Bonus point…next to each toilet is an actual magazine rack for reading material…sadly you have to supply your own. Hot water, clean and good drainage. But, you don’t know who has been in there lately.

Now we get to Marathon Key, which is where the comment was made that started this discussion. “A bit primitive here don’t you think?” That’s when we reminded ourselves of what was to come in St. Thomas and in the British Virgin Islands. Here in Marathon. Welcome to the cell block. Key card access for each “cell”. Basic as it can get, but still a “suite”. Small stall shower, 2 hooks, a sink and a toilet. To make it work, you utilize the hooks and your bag to trade dirty clothes for clean clothes. Due to the sheer size of the marina (over 200 boats), you deadbolt the door or you will have visitors quickly! Water is hot, but by volume of use…you have no idea when the bathrooms were last cleaned….what is that hair ball in the in the drain?

I reminded Bonnie of Red Hook, St. Thomas and Sydney’s on Jost Van Dyke. There you become a brave soul if you want a shower (notice I didn’t say hot).

Red Hook, St. Thomas. Off the boat, down the alley, passing by Molly Malone’s and their kitchen, you find yourself in an alley and not quite sure where to go. Then an obscure door says, “Showers”. Upon entering you think your becoming a member of Men In Black, as the hallway is stark with a series of doors. Once inside your shower room, you again lock and deadbolt the door. You look in the shower and in the corner of the shower in the ceiling is a small shower head. A half wall surrounds the shower and off you go. Hot water is spotty, the toilet does work and generally you are thinking this is pretty good compared to showering on the boat….at least you have elbow room. For some reason, you have to hit a button to exit. The door will NOT open unless you have disarmed the door. For some reason they really want to keep you in there!

Last stop. Sydney’s on Jost Van Dyke, BVI. You can appreciate Sydney’s if you have been sailing for a few days, just like if you have been camping and your just happy to have a shower. If you’re a hotel kind of person, this is NOT for you. The shower is the same place as the bathroom for the establishment. No “suite” this time, just a bathroom that everyone uses. A plain wooden door with a shaky lock keeps your friends from joining you. Their version of the deadbolt is the old hook through the loop….yeah, cause that’s stopping a raging idiot. Inside, a toilet that may or may not have toilet paper, a sink that has cold water and a shower basin. For a little comfort and privacy, a nice shower curtain that wraps around the area. The shower head is the end of a PVC pipe sticking out the ceiling, ready to rain down on you like the heavens opening up. Cold water cascades from the PVC and the clock is ticking. You know that any minute, someone who really needs to go to the bathroom is either going to jimmy the door open or keep banging on the door until you are done. Thank god you put the “Caribbean deadbolt on”.

This is all part of cruising life. You of course can always shower on your boat, but then you don’t have stories to tell.
Comments
Vessel Name: My Cay
Vessel Make/Model: 1989 47' Jeanneau Sun Kiss
Hailing Port: Bradenton, FL
Crew: Jim & Bonnie Terkelsen and Part Time Crew Russ Terkelsen
About:
Originally hailing from New England, Bonnie and I worked our way south to Florida back in 2005. A job change and looking to escape the cold New England winters, we landed in the Bradenton/Sarasota area. I have been a life long sailor and sailing coach, while Bonnie took up serious sailing in 2014. [...]
Extra:
My Cay was purchase from the former owner in Fort Lauderdale and sailed over to the West Coast back in October of 2014. The boat orginally sailed from Europe and has made the Trans Atlantic crossing. Once here, she was sold in south Florida to Micheal and subsequently, us. While she was set up [...]
Social:
My Cay's Photos - Main
14 Photos
Created 28 March 2017
23 Photos
Created 26 March 2017
11 Photos
Created 2 March 2017
3 Photos
Created 1 March 2017
5 Photos
Created 28 February 2017
26 Photos
Created 24 February 2017
27 Photos
Created 21 February 2017
12 Photos
Created 17 February 2017
17 Photos
Created 14 February 2017
3 Photos
Created 13 February 2017
20 Photos
Created 10 February 2017
25 Photos
Created 31 January 2017
20 Photos
Created 22 January 2017
9 Photos
Created 20 January 2017
6 Photos
Created 18 January 2017
58 Photos
Created 15 January 2017
11 Photos
Created 4 January 2017
40 Photos
Created 28 December 2016
Christmas 2016
29 Photos
Created 25 December 2016
11 Photos
Created 23 December 2016
14 Photos
Created 22 December 2016
29 Photos
Created 14 December 2016
22 Photos
Created 11 December 2016
Boot Key Harbor; Marathon Marina (for repairs)
39 Photos
Created 22 November 2016
18 Photos
Created 8 November 2016
47 Photos
Created 16 July 2016