SV - My Cay -

All Who Wander Are Not Lost

08 February 2017
25 December 2016
23 December 2016
21 December 2016
12 December 2016
08 December 2016 | Bimini Sands Marina, South Bimini, Bahamas
08 November 2016 | Boot Key Harbor, Marathon Key, FL
04 November 2016
29 October 2016
20 October 2016
17 October 2016

The Gulf Stream

08 December 2016 | Bimini Sands Marina, South Bimini, Bahamas
The Gulf Stream
It’s 7:00am and we have made it all the way to South Bimini after an 18 hour run/sail from Marathon Key. For some reason, this crossing was the easiest thing we have done in the last 6 weeks. Maybe we hit the weather window right, maybe we just finally caught a break.

Either way, we are farther from home by boat and have sailed farther than either one of us have ever imagined. The path we have travelled has been complicated, but at the same time is teaching us life lessons.

A week ago, we were on the edge of the Gulf Stream when we turned around because my Dad learned his wife passed away. It was so unexpected and such a shock. Having made our way all the way up the coast and getting the nerve up to cross in a North breeze was a task, but now we had to head all the way back to Marathon Key on little sleep. It was the best choice and the easiest way to get my Dad back to Ohio.

Just over a week later, we reconvened after the funeral. Dad arrived back in Marathon on Monday, December 5 and the weather window had us set to leave on Tuesday, December 6th.

The crossing itself became a non-event in terms of fun or drama. The weather was a south breeze that was very light and dying thanks to an approaching dying cold front. We hoped for small breeze and flat seas and we got more than we wished for in terms of breeze and seas. As the Tuesday night wore on, the breeze went lighter and lighter, the seas went flatter and flatter! From midnight on, we rolled up the sails and motored!

Leaving Boot Key Harbor at noon time we saw 15 knots out of the south as we motorsailed up Hawk Channel to just south of Alligator Reef. About 5pm we turned east and headed out towards the Gulf Stream and wished for the best. As the sun set, our stomachs all started to churn a bit as darkness set in, the seas rolled and we wondered if the weather forecast was correct.

Around 9pm, we really began to see the effects of the Gulf Stream…which is truly amazing. The air temperature went up…the speed we made over ground increased a good 3 knots and how we steered completely changed. While we steered a course of 95 magnetic, we were actually moving at 60 degrees course over ground….a 35 degree set to the North!

I came back on watch at 3am to find Bonnie and Dad happy as can be at that time of day, but now it was time to bring it home to Bimini. Dad and I began to see the lights of this out post island and we knew it was just about complete.

Around 6:30am, the sun began to rise and we saw the coast of North and South Bimini. After 18 hours, 2 attempts and 6 weeks, we had finally arrived and completed our first major sail! Looking around the waters, we saw nothing but flat land and crystal clear waters. Even in 50 feet of water, we could see the bottom! The colors lit up with light greens, dark blues and sandy whites like you see in the tourist magazines. It’s real and to see it is unbelievable!

Since our boat draws 7 feet of depth, we needed to be sure we could get into our resting place. We jogged around outside the marina entrance for a couple of hours while we waited on the tide to come up to high tide. As we all began to get tired after being up for so many hours, we anchored for a bit outside of Bimini Sands Marina. About noon, we made our way into Bimini Sands on the rising high tide….Bimini Sands has a VERY narrow entrance with limited depth at the entrance. Thank god we waited for high tide….entering we had 8 feet on the depth sounder…a foot to below the keel!

Exhausted, excited, relieved, feeling accomplished….what an incredible feeling to have made Bimini after having planned it for so long. The topper of the day was Bonnie cracking a bottle of Champagne as we raised the Bahamian courtesy flag and “officially” clearing into the Bahamas.

We will press on through the Bahamas. Next stop is Nassua and then through the Exumas! Stay tuned!
Comments
Vessel Name: My Cay
Vessel Make/Model: 1989 47' Jeanneau Sun Kiss
Hailing Port: Bradenton, FL
Crew: Jim & Bonnie Terkelsen and Part Time Crew Russ Terkelsen
About:
Originally hailing from New England, Bonnie and I worked our way south to Florida back in 2005. A job change and looking to escape the cold New England winters, we landed in the Bradenton/Sarasota area. I have been a life long sailor and sailing coach, while Bonnie took up serious sailing in 2014. [...]
Extra:
My Cay was purchase from the former owner in Fort Lauderdale and sailed over to the West Coast back in October of 2014. The boat orginally sailed from Europe and has made the Trans Atlantic crossing. Once here, she was sold in south Florida to Micheal and subsequently, us. While she was set up [...]
Social:
My Cay's Photos - Main
14 Photos
Created 28 March 2017
23 Photos
Created 26 March 2017
11 Photos
Created 2 March 2017
3 Photos
Created 1 March 2017
5 Photos
Created 28 February 2017
26 Photos
Created 24 February 2017
27 Photos
Created 21 February 2017
12 Photos
Created 17 February 2017
17 Photos
Created 14 February 2017
3 Photos
Created 13 February 2017
20 Photos
Created 10 February 2017
25 Photos
Created 31 January 2017
20 Photos
Created 22 January 2017
9 Photos
Created 20 January 2017
6 Photos
Created 18 January 2017
58 Photos
Created 15 January 2017
11 Photos
Created 4 January 2017
40 Photos
Created 28 December 2016
Christmas 2016
29 Photos
Created 25 December 2016
11 Photos
Created 23 December 2016
14 Photos
Created 22 December 2016
29 Photos
Created 14 December 2016
22 Photos
Created 11 December 2016
Boot Key Harbor; Marathon Marina (for repairs)
39 Photos
Created 22 November 2016
18 Photos
Created 8 November 2016
47 Photos
Created 16 July 2016