SV - My Cay -

All Who Wander Are Not Lost

08 February 2017
25 December 2016
23 December 2016
21 December 2016
12 December 2016
08 December 2016 | Bimini Sands Marina, South Bimini, Bahamas
08 November 2016 | Boot Key Harbor, Marathon Key, FL
04 November 2016
29 October 2016
20 October 2016
17 October 2016

Shroud Cay

23 December 2016
On a whim we motored down a mangrove creek in the dinghy like we were explorers who had just found this labyrinth. As we entered the mangrove creek, the crystal clear water revealed a sandy white bottom that was only 3 feet deep. The hues of greens, blues, teals, turquoises reflected back various depths as we motored along. Ahead, the creek took a bend to left and revealed more colors, more to explore. Minutes ticked away as we continued in farther and we were certainly alone and isolated in these mangroves. With each turn we kept telling ourselves we would turn back, but each turn revealed more colors and more intrigue. As we rounded one bend, ahead was what appeared to be a pool of almost glowing white water. Soft sand only about a foot deep greeted us and as we looked to the left, we found the opening of the creek which led to the crashing waves of the Atlantic Ocean. Millions of gallons of water were ripping through a narrow cut from the Atlantic feeding this creek. On either side of the opening were miles of white sand beach that were virtually untouched. It seemed as though Shroud Cay was delivering another stunning vista.

Shroud Cay was supposed to be a mid-point anchorage before we headed to Warderick Wells Cay. The island instead turned out to be our first real adventure stop. Shortly after setting the anchor and launching the dinghy, Bonnie packed up the gear we needed and we were off to the far shore over shallow green waters. Passing by one lone boat that was anchored in the sheltered lagoon, we landed on a beach with a bluff overlooking Norman’s Cay to the north. Our footprints were the only foot prints on the beach…no one else had been there on that day. Standing on the bluff, you could see 180 degrees of sandbars, coral heads, rock formations and a few boats traversing the Exumas.

We spent the afternoon trolling along in the dinghy, checking out beaches and inlets. After finding the holy grail of the mangrove creek leading to the Atlantic, we headed back to the boat to enjoy the sunset. With the stern squarely facing west, we had an unobstructed view of the orange ball sinking into the waters. As the sun faded, the stars dotted the sky and a thick darkness fell over the anchored boats. The last of the all ambient light had been left behind at Highborne Cay. The night revealed the billions of stars that oversee us and we were once again asking ourselves if this was the most beautiful spot in the Bahamas.

Beauty does come with a technological price. We have reached that point in the islands where you are forced to become totally disconnected and have to adjust how you live life. We have become self-contained since we left Nassau and have gone several days without communication as we once knew it. For the most part, cell phones and internet are non-existent. Cell towers are few and the distance between towers is far enough that acquiring a signal is virtually impossible. Gone are the constant updates on Facebook, email service, texting, news and of course Patriots game scores! Replacing that constant overload of information are the sounds of waves along the hull of the boat, the wind whistling through the rigging, the creaking of the boat and the visual canvas of colors in all directions.

Living on a boat in this remote environment simplifies your day, but at the same time creates new challenges for you to solve. Each day, we have to make water with our watermaker, charge our batteries to run our electric systems, do regular boat maintenance and sort our trash. In the Exumas, the motto is, “leave nothing behind”. It varies from area to area, but trash disposal is limited and in the Land and Sea Park there is no disposal. You can store your trash on your boat or you can sort it for “friendly” disposal. Once you have left the boundaries of the Land and Sea Park, you can burn your paper ashore and dispose of organic material overboard, thus reducing the trash you need to store on board. The challenges come from dealing with the endless small issues that arise with living on a boat. Mostly mechanical issues that are happen at inconvenient times. Currently, we are fighting a battery issue with our bow thruster and trying to solve why fuses keep blowing and the batteries won’t stay charged. The solution is to manually charge them when they are needed until we can get somewhere we have more access to information on our thruster system.

Our stay at Shroud Cay was brief and our next stop is Warderick Wells Cays, which is the heart of the Land and Sea Park. It is also the picturesque spot that is well known when seeing photos of the Exumas. The boats lying on moorings in a thin strip deep blue water, surrounded by white sand, leaves you wondering how those boats arrived there….tomorrow we find out.
Comments
Vessel Name: My Cay
Vessel Make/Model: 1989 47' Jeanneau Sun Kiss
Hailing Port: Bradenton, FL
Crew: Jim & Bonnie Terkelsen and Part Time Crew Russ Terkelsen
About:
Originally hailing from New England, Bonnie and I worked our way south to Florida back in 2005. A job change and looking to escape the cold New England winters, we landed in the Bradenton/Sarasota area. I have been a life long sailor and sailing coach, while Bonnie took up serious sailing in 2014. [...]
Extra:
My Cay was purchase from the former owner in Fort Lauderdale and sailed over to the West Coast back in October of 2014. The boat orginally sailed from Europe and has made the Trans Atlantic crossing. Once here, she was sold in south Florida to Micheal and subsequently, us. While she was set up [...]
Social:
My Cay's Photos - Main
14 Photos
Created 28 March 2017
23 Photos
Created 26 March 2017
11 Photos
Created 2 March 2017
3 Photos
Created 1 March 2017
5 Photos
Created 28 February 2017
26 Photos
Created 24 February 2017
27 Photos
Created 21 February 2017
12 Photos
Created 17 February 2017
17 Photos
Created 14 February 2017
3 Photos
Created 13 February 2017
20 Photos
Created 10 February 2017
25 Photos
Created 31 January 2017
20 Photos
Created 22 January 2017
9 Photos
Created 20 January 2017
6 Photos
Created 18 January 2017
58 Photos
Created 15 January 2017
11 Photos
Created 4 January 2017
40 Photos
Created 28 December 2016
Christmas 2016
29 Photos
Created 25 December 2016
11 Photos
Created 23 December 2016
14 Photos
Created 22 December 2016
29 Photos
Created 14 December 2016
22 Photos
Created 11 December 2016
Boot Key Harbor; Marathon Marina (for repairs)
39 Photos
Created 22 November 2016
18 Photos
Created 8 November 2016
47 Photos
Created 16 July 2016