Mymax's Scottish Trip

25 February 2010 | Milford Haven
05 August 2009 | Ireland
29 July 2009 | Bangor
26 July 2009 | Ballycastle
24 July 2009 | Port Ellen, Isle of Islay
23 July 2009 | Craighouse, Isle of Jura
22 July 2009 | Isle Ornsay / Tobermory / Oban
17 July 2009 | Kyle of Lochalsh / Plockton
09 July 2009 | Loch Nevis / Armadale, Skye
05 July 2009 | Tobermory, Mull
02 July 2009 | Oban
01 July 2009 | Crinan Canal / Ardfern
29 June 2009 | Crinan Canal
26 June 2009 | Campbeltown
26 June 2009 | Portpatrick
23 June 2009 | Port St Mary (Isle of Man)
21 June 2009 | Aberdaron / Holyhead
31 December 1969 | Pwllheli

Leaking Locks, Naked Americans & Swallows (No Amazons)

01 July 2009 | Crinan Canal / Ardfern
Well the last few days have been eventful even though we have not covered many miles (about 20 in total) As we sat having our dinner on the evening in Ardrishaig another boat made the last lock and rafted along side of us (for non boaties this involves tying yourself onto another boat rather than the shore, due to lack of room) here we met the slightly odd crew of a small Moody called Kestral: Karl (skipper), Nigel (mate of Karl's) and Vicky, a 30 year old who looked like a 14 year old girl and obviously knew neither of the other two!

They suggested that we share the work involved in the locks between us and travel through together; this sounded a brilliant idea as whilst Stu and I had been through many locks in the Netherlands they were all operated for you and required you to do no more than adjust your lines. Also, I have been poorly for the last 5 days now, chest infection I think (on account of what is being coughed up) and the constant coughing and aching has stopped me from sleeping and has woken Stu every 5 minutes to. He is now coming down with it now as well, I think. So all suggested help was going to be appreciated. Locking involves preparing each lock first, opening or closing gates and sluices, manoeuvring the boats into the locks then filling or emptying each lock and opening gates again to let the boats out, we had to do this 13 times without any help, the first half of the locks take you up and the second half bring you back down to sea level again. I have toned muscles that I never knew existed, or had at least forgotten about many years ago! We enjoyed some stunning views over houses, fields and even the sea far below us en route.

The day had started cloudy but by 10am we were in brilliant sunshine again and it wasn't till someone noticed my glowing magenta shoulders that I realised that I had been too busy to put sun cream on and now would suffer the pain of sunburn for a day or two..... it was in one of the leaky downward locks towards Crinan that my sunburn together with turned up cut offs (very stylish) were snapped in a moment of boredom by Nigel from Kestral.

We met loads of people through the canal today...... most of which swear by Avon "skin so soft" as a midgie repellent, thanks for the good advice Sandra..... only one bite to report (and that was before we started with the stuff)

Not much wildlife to report today....... A naked American in the canal, who bid us good afternoon and proceeded to roll over and swim back stroke across the canal with all bits on view and flapping (not a pretty sight!) and lots of stunning Swallows who fed themselves well on the midgie feast that exists after dusk.

In Ardfern tonight, a quiet 8 mile journey from the end of the canal, this is a beautiful place at the top of Loch Craignish (now officially in NW Scotland - according to Reeds almanac anyway) Early night as we both feel less than 100%. Tomorrow Oban, hopefully a good internet connection so that I can finish some work that has been put off with not being well........ David has posted an old phone to me so we hope by Friday that I will be better, working and back in communication with the outside world...
Comments
Vessel Name: Mymax
Vessel Make/Model: Maxi 95
Hailing Port: Milford Haven
Crew: Jackie & Stuart

Mymax

Who: Jackie & Stuart
Port: Milford Haven