Mymax's Scottish Trip

25 February 2010 | Milford Haven
05 August 2009 | Ireland
29 July 2009 | Bangor
26 July 2009 | Ballycastle
24 July 2009 | Port Ellen, Isle of Islay
23 July 2009 | Craighouse, Isle of Jura
22 July 2009 | Isle Ornsay / Tobermory / Oban
17 July 2009 | Kyle of Lochalsh / Plockton
09 July 2009 | Loch Nevis / Armadale, Skye
05 July 2009 | Tobermory, Mull
02 July 2009 | Oban
01 July 2009 | Crinan Canal / Ardfern
29 June 2009 | Crinan Canal
26 June 2009 | Campbeltown
26 June 2009 | Portpatrick
23 June 2009 | Port St Mary (Isle of Man)
21 June 2009 | Aberdaron / Holyhead
31 December 1969 | Pwllheli

The Remotest pub on the Mainland

09 July 2009 | Loch Nevis / Armadale, Skye
Yesterday we decided that with few fresh provisions aboard that we would make a run for civilisation.......... The forecast was again for force 4-5 but after the force 7 that we had experienced we decided to reef down (for non boaties this is to make the sails smaller so as not to tip over or create brown stains in your trousers)
I can only describe the next 10 hours as bloody hard work! We beat to windward in a lumpy sea and a good force 6 (gusting 7)..... we got wet, salty, tired and fed up and were very glad to see Loch Nevis ( sheltered loch surrounded by large mountains) now whilst this was not quite the civilisation we had hoped for it was a safe harbour and had moved us a long way north towards our next stop (Skye) and we slept well!
The North shore of Loch Nevis is in fact a small peninsula on the mainland (called Knoydart) that is home to approximately 70 people and access is via the ferry that runs from Mallaig or on foot (it takes 3 days hard hiking and sleeping in provided crofters cottages to get you here (unless you've got a boat of course) Again a lively gastro pub (full of walkers and yachties), a tea room (who provided a fabulous breakfast, the pub menu was so good we almost stopped a second night..... but we didn't. Instead we thought we would push on if conditions allowed; when we had left the loch and entered the Sound of Sleat it was obvious that the conditions had not improved much so to avoid a repeat of yesterday we set a course for a small village called Armadale (Skye at last) and enjoyed a Caledonion MacBrayne ferry ride to Mallaig. News from home says that the forecast is likely to get bad again by Sunday so we are busy contingency planning (with a glass of wine in hand of course!)
Comments
Vessel Name: Mymax
Vessel Make/Model: Maxi 95
Hailing Port: Milford Haven
Crew: Jackie & Stuart

Mymax

Who: Jackie & Stuart
Port: Milford Haven