Starry Night

1975 Tayana 37

Vessel Name: Starry Night
Vessel Make/Model: 1975 Tayana 37 (CT37)
Hailing Port: South Freeport, Maine
Crew: Bob, Jamey, Amanda and Alyssa
About: Bob and Jamey Myron, Amanda Myron (age 9) and Alyssa Myron (age 7)
Extra: Sailing from Durham, Maine to the BVI fall/winter of 2010
16 July 2011 | Branford, CT
02 July 2011
02 July 2011 | Solomon's Island, Chesapeake Bay
02 July 2011 | Norfolk, VA
02 July 2011
30 May 2011 | Charleston, South Carolina
27 May 2011 | Vero Beach, FL
15 May 2011 | Vero Beach, Florida
25 April 2011 | Georgetown, Exuma, Bahamas
01 April 2011 | Dominican Republic
14 March 2011 | Boqueron, PR
15 January 2011 | Leverick Bay, Virgin Gorda, BVI
06 January 2011 | Norman Island, BVI
01 January 2011 | Norman Island
01 January 2011 | Norman's Island, BVI
09 December 2010 | Bermuda
22 November 2010 | bermuda
22 November 2010 | bermuda
21 November 2010 | Atlantic ocean
21 November 2010 | Bermuda
Recent Blog Posts
16 July 2011 | Branford, CT

The gift of time

As we get closer to home, people are starting to ask what the best and worst part of the trip has been.

02 July 2011

Updates

The last 3 blogs were posted after the fact as the sailblogs website was down. I posted them on facebook and was just able to repost here. I also downloaded some photos on facebook which I will copy here when I am able. If you'd like to see the photos on facebook, just search for jamey myron. They're on my site in photos/albums. Thanks to everyone for taking the time to read about our adventures and keep in touch with us. It's good to have a touchstone when drifting around!

02 July 2011 | Solomon's Island, Chesapeake Bay

An Uneventful Day

No big stories today. No water in the boat, lost ground tackle or storms. The boat stayed clean, the kids got along and the weather was beautiful. Not much to write about, but it was amazing to experience. It was perfection. I'm not sure if it's because of or in spite of our recent adventures, but we [...]

02 July 2011 | Norfolk, VA

It takes about 20 seconds

We left Norfolk early this morning in beautiful weather. The seas were flat, winds were calm and almost no traffic in the harbor (which is rare in itself). Things were so calm that Bob had let me sleep. He got up around 6 to get us going. Just outside the harbor, he passed across the channel to head [...]

02 July 2011

Georgetown, SC

We arrived in Georgetown SC today around lunchtime. The scenery here along Winyah Bay is stunning, though we haven’t adjusted to the water color in the states yet. It seems so murky compared to the Bahamas and Caribbean.

30 May 2011 | Charleston, South Carolina

Getting older

Now that we are back in the US, one of the girls' favorite thing to do is call and talk to friends. Being away from friends has been one of the hardest part of this trip for them.

Late Entry from Bermuda

01 January 2011 | Norman's Island, BVI
Jamey
Bermuda has been amazing. It has been the perfect place to repair, reprovision and gather up our courage to head further south.
The voyage-preventing repairs were complete yesterday. We're pretty much down to laundry, groceries and repacking at this point, in addition to waiting for the right weather. We are really, really hoping for good weather for the next leg of our journey.
And, as frightening as sailing out of here might be for me, I must admit my feet are beginning to get a little itchy. Amazing how you can be in the middle of paradise and be thinking of the next paradise over, but we are.
When we leave Bermuda, we will head south and our next landfall will be (hopefully) in the Virgin Islands. We are looking forward to a bit of warmer water. The water temperature here is now about 70 degrees, which feels a bit too cool on a windy day (Yes, I know everyone in Maine is really feeling sorry for us as we are never lucky enough to get 70 degrees in the ocean there).
The trip will probably take us around 10-12 days (including some time off course for wind direction, etc). Once we arrive, we plan on staying pretty local to the Virgin Island area through the holidays . We'll see how adventurous we are feeling in the new year! As for now, we're only planning one leg of the journey at a time.
Today has been a big tourist day for us. We went to some local caves that were just beautiful. We spent the afternoon at the aquarium and zoo. Great place! Many of the exhibits are very close and easy to see the animals. In fact, after walking into an enclosed area, we saw golden Tamarinds, in trees just above us and on the path in front of us. Amanda looked a bit startled and asked why they weren't in cages. I told her there were in cages, we were in THEIR cages. It was the same for the Ibis and many of the other animals. They also had a great natural history exhibit explaining the geographical history of the island. It's been so wonderful to have enough time here to really see some of the history of the area.
Tonight was a Christmas Walk-About in St. George's (the town where we are anchored). The entire town was lit up with Christmas lights. There was a stage in front of the town hall and all different types of performers were there. We saw some very young fiddlers playing Christmas songs, some tap dancers and a youth choir, all people from around the island. The stores were all open late, and almost everyone had a bit of something put out to share. The shopkeepers were greeting everyone and you could walk around in the shops. The churches were also opened up for viewing. Some of the churches were built in the 1600 and 1700, so it was amazing to look in them. One church had a early-visiting Santa, so the girls got to make their Christmas wishes. Alyssa wrote out her list and handed it to Santa directly. Amanda just slipped hers in the box. She later told us that she had asked Santa for whatever he thought was best to get her this year, and if he couldn't think of anything, a ZuZu pet would be nice. I can't figure out if she is too sweet for belief or too smart for belief. Perhaps it is both.
After all that, we headed over to a friend's house for a bit of a get together with her family and friends. We met some people that live here in Bermuda and other people passing through on their boats. We met another family from Maine, on the ship Heron. They live in Camden and do chartering year round. They charter in Maine in the summer, then head to the Virgin Islands and charter there in the winter. Their girls were older than ours, but it was wonderful to hear them talk about what they missed and what they enjoyed. Hopefully we'll meet up again somewhere along the way!
Anyway, we're expecting a couple of storms here in the next few days. They should pass off by next Wed or Thursday and our plan is to head out after they leave. So wish us well, and please make peace with the weather gods. Amanda has suggested that we all write letters to Neptune asking for good weather. I doubt we'll be the first one's to try that, but it is worth a try. I think mine will contain a log of groveling and begging!
Thanks to all your support, kind words and advice on our travels. It is comforting to know our friends and family are with us, in spirit and in the net! We love you all.
Comments

About & Links