Mysti-Cal Adventures

On an adventure

14 August 2017
13 August 2017 | Baddeck NS
13 August 2017 | Baddeck NS
20 August 2015
16 August 2015 | Indian Cove Washbuck river
16 August 2015 | Coulette Cove
15 August 2015 | Ramea Island Newfoundland and Labrador
14 August 2015 | Grey River
13 August 2015 | Aviron Newfoundland and Labrador
12 August 2015 | Fransois Newfoundand and Labrador Canada
11 August 2015 | Fransois Newfoundand and Labrador Canada
10 August 2015 | Hare Bay
09 August 2015 | Bay D'Espoir, McCallum Newfoundland and Labrador
07 August 2015 | Balden's Cove, Newfoundland & Labrador
06 August 2015 | Sagona Island, Newfoundland & Labrador
05 August 2015 | Fortune, Newfoundland & Labrador

Newfoundland 2015, Sagona Island

06 August 2015 | Sagona Island, Newfoundland & Labrador
We toodled over bringing Kato with us to do the laundry. Now why showers here were $5.00, the most expensive showers we had encountered, and laundry was only $1:00, the by far cheapest, is beyond my logic. The showers were spartan, no curtain, no chairs for clothes, just a big room with a shower and a sink. For five bucks I expected French soap!
Laundry takes forever but Kato entertained everyone and kept things lively. He had taken a liking to Kerry and kept trying to go up to his office.

I kept him tied up outside and when I went to check on him found an empty harness. Fortunately he was in the laundry room sniffing around. After my shower while Dave was uploading videos I took him for a long explore around the back forested area.

Finally all the wash was done and dried and we took Origami back to the boat, dragging a reluctant kitty with us, he wanted to stay ashore.

Getting off the dock was a bit of a challenge due to the winds. We arranged with the Frenchmen on the boat ahead of us that we would come up along beside their boat, all fenders down, and Dave would climb aboard their boat to get on ours once we were past.

Both of us on the docks I had the bow line and the mid line and the wind was pulling the boat back towards the other boat and me with it! One of the men jumped off the boat to help and grabbed the mid line so we could stop it. I went aboard and with one guy on the boat behind to make sure we did not hit, and Dave and the other guy holding the lines we brought Mysti along the French boat where Dave jumped aboard as I turned the boat out into the harbour. Whew!

Once out into Fortune Bay we could get both sails out and turn off the motor. The sun came out and a glorious day presented itself to us for a while as we sailed over to Sagona Island to an anchorage we had heard about. We had read that it was a bit tricky getting in to this harbour but that it was doable. The charts read 3 feet of water coming in, but the guidebooks said that the charts were wrong. We decided to trust the guidebooks and with Dave at the bow peering into the water and me at the helm inching my way in we came through the entrance. I heard a sharp intake of breath through the headphones as Dave asked what the depths were. '10 feet' I told him.
Yikes! He could see rocks on either side and it looked a lot less than 10 feet! At one point it was down to 6, but we made it in safely. We first tried anchoring near the end of the harbour but did not hold so we moved up into the very middle, just before where a fishing buoy was bobbing, but the anchor held perfectly.

(For anyone coming in to anchor here, we went out in the dingy to scout it out.
Come in the harbour in the very centre, then favour the port side very slightly at first. The guideebook said to favour starboard, but we found staying centre, possibly more port, was the only way through the first part to pass to the old dock. There are very shallow spots on both sides! Then stay centre. The charts are off so don't trust them, use your eyes and keep a bow lookout to guide you through the shallows and rocks. which are very visible in the clear, clear water. It is a bit nerve wrecking going in the first time, but this is a spectacular anchorage, so peaceful and beautiful and sheltered on all sides.)

Across from us, on our Port side, was an old boat on it's side on the shore. She was named Tasha and sisters. I would love to know it's story and how it ended up abandoned here. On our starboard side were a few tiny old homes, some with holes right through them. Sadona was once a little community of 'Snooks' and 'Keepings' who's remains are found in the little graveyard, Snooks on one side, Keepings on the other. The community was relocated in the early 1970's but a few families have kept summer cottages there in the past. It sure did not look like anyone had been there for a while. The one little blue house that was on our starboard side looked like a cute little fixer upper and I imagined how we could fix it up, put in solar panels and make a lovely summer home here.
We BBQed up some crab with the best tasting potatoes, (those French gardeners!), carrots and a lovely salad and a bottle of St. Pierre Bordeaux. mmmmmmm again. We played some cards listening to good music and fell asleep in our private little paradise.
Comments
Vessel Name: Mysti-Cal
Vessel Make/Model: Cal 2-46
Hailing Port: North Sydney Yacht Club, Nova Scotia Canada
Crew: Dave Curtis (RIP) , Krow Fischer, Kato Cat
About:
Dave Curtis fulfilled his lifelong dream of being a sailor, when he found a first mate willing to adventure. Krow has never sailed, and, pelican like, dove head first in. They took navigation, seamanship, radio operator, diesel mechanic, diving, and getting as much hands on as they could cram in. [...]
Extra:
Mysti-Cal is a good solid boat that we both loved. So much room inside, great live aboard with amazing storage and the view from the raised salon makes anchoring a beautiful thing! ! She feels like home no matter where she is. We had a big project getting her back into the shape she should be, [...]
Home Page: www.hereonearth.ca
Social:
Mysti-Cal's Photos - Main
July 14 and 15, 2015
No Photos
Created 15 July 2015
launching from Lewisporte Newfoundland and out through Notredame Bay
5 Photos
Created 10 July 2015
No Photos
Created 14 July 2014
Our travels through the Gros Morne area.
21 Photos
Created 14 July 2014
Our journey onwards to the point of crossing to Newfoundland.
32 Photos
Created 10 July 2014
From Tadussac ocross the river and onwards.
6 Photos
Created 7 July 2014
An experiment with gardening aboard..
3 Photos
Created 6 July 2014
Our stay over at Marina du Port de Quebec
13 Photos
Created 4 July 2014
Our journey through the locks and onward up the St. Lawrence.
20 Photos
Created 4 July 2014
Saturday June 28th was a great send off party from Waupoos Marina Folks. They will all forever be part of our journeys as we carry their well wishes and joyful souls with us! Thank you!
18 Photos
Created 4 July 2014