Namani at Sea

The travels of Nana, Markus and Nick aboard Namani

30 June 2014 | Peaks Island, ME
10 June 2014 | Tarrytown, NY
19 May 2014 | Pangandaran, West Java, Indonesia
09 May 2014 | Sydney
06 May 2014 | Cairns, QLD
04 May 2014 | Cairns, QLD
01 May 2014 | Yorkey's Knob Boat Club
29 April 2014 | Anchored in Pioneer Bay, Palm Islands, QLD
26 April 2014 | Macona Inlet, Hook Island/Whitsundays
17 April 2014 | Rosslyn Bay
14 April 2014 | Pacific Creek, Curtis Island
04 April 2014 | Great Keppel Island, Queensland
02 March 2014 | Scarborough, Queensland
26 February 2014 | Scarborough, Queensland
13 February 2014 | Scarborough, Moreton Bay/Queensland
03 February 2014 | Scarborough, Moreton Bay/Queensland
12 January 2014 | Redcliffe Marina, Scarborough/Moreton Bay
07 January 2014 | Shoal Bay, Port Stephens
03 January 2014 | Rose Bay, Sydney Harbour

Island Tour

14 May 2012 | Hiva Oa, Marquesas
Still in Hiva Oa, sitting out a rainy day before moving on to Tahuatu, a small island just to the south of us. Went on a tour of the island in Marie Jo’s pick-up truck, together with Karen, Larry, Katy and Kent from Panta Rhei. A 2-hour drive across Hiva Oa to its NE corner to visit the “Big Tiki”, an 18th century religious site with large carved stone figures and altar-like platforms. Looks like the high priests of the time knew how to keep everyone busy.... The drive across the island had us pass by surprising changes in vegetation as we went up and down the mountainous center of the island (including some pine forest that looked more Scandinavian than tropical). The views down the steep cliff-fringed northern shore were quite stunning as well. We’re glad we didn’t have to drive... Interesting to see a small store at this end of the island. Everything has to be trucked out there on those same winding roads and hairpin turns AFTER it gets to Atuona by boat... After a very nice lunch we drove back to another Tiki-site (the “Smiling Tiki” this time) close to Hiva Oa’s airport.

Yesterday was our “social” day then. Roderick and Yvonne on Happy Bird and Robin on Katydid were in town. These are two of the boats we had on our little SSB radio net during the passage and whose crews we had yet to meet in person. So we had them plus Sue and Brian from Daramy over for a late afternoon snack. As these things go, we ate, drank, and talked away the afternoon and evening in no time... Larry and Kent from Panta Rhei had stopped by earlier before setting sail for Nuku Hiva and we hope to catch up with them some time on our way to Tahiti.

Tomorrow we plan on a last dash into town to enjoy fresh baguettes one more time (Robin had even found fresh croissants in one of the stores two days ago...) and then to find ourselves a quite anchorage to catch up on some boat work. Stay tuned...
Comments
Vessel Name: Namani
Vessel Make/Model: Dufour 35
Crew: Nana, Markus and Nick
About: A family of three on a cruise from the US East Coast to Australia