namaste plus 2

Follow us as we sail with Namaste from Galveston to the Caribbean

05 February 2022 | Rio Dulce Guatemala
15 May 2019
29 April 2019 | North Long Coco Caye Belize
19 April 2019
07 April 2019
04 April 2019
31 January 2018
12 January 2018
05 December 2017
30 November 2017
28 November 2017 | Tikal
20 November 2017 | Morales Guatemala
15 November 2017 | Rio Dulce Ram marina
21 August 2017
30 July 2017 | San Marcos El Dragon hotel
30 July 2017
26 June 2017 | San Pedro Guatemala

Life on the Lake

30 July 2017
The Lake Atitlan area has been our home for the past 3 weeks. The lake is very busy with launchas zipping backpackers back and forth across the lake from one village to another. The lake itself is large and was formed 85000 years ago when a volcano blew leaving this huge crater. Circling the crater are hills and volcanoes some still puffing out smoke. One of the smaller hills inspired Saint Exupery story of the serpent swallowing the elephant in The Little Prince. Apparently the author spent time here following the crash of his small plane into the lake. The various villages each have definite and unique ambiances. San Pedro our first stop,is known as the party place.It is filled with young people- aren't they all young? - looking for a good hostel,good beer, and adventures. The noise quiets down after 11pm and in our little bnb on the outskirts of the town, we found a sanctuary. Ron started his language classes right away and made some new friends. One afternoon we all hopped into tuk tuks and went to San Juan's exquisite restaurant. They served wine, 25 different cheeses and many meats made/ cured on site. It rivals any European deli offerings. Another day we got up very early and hiked the Indian Nose to catch the sunrise over the volcanoes. Tough hike but amazing views. After a week or so we moved on to San Marcos across the lake. We found a little cabana to rent. It is part of a large hotel so offers lots of amenities like restaurant, bar, hot tub and beach front. The resident dog, Nappy has adopted us and walks us everywhere. How he knew we were returning on the launcha one afternoon I'll never know. There are many many dogs around the lake and it is a problem. So sad to see so many sick and begging. Nappy certainly has a good gig😂. The first night we wandered next door to the hostel where there was a drum circle underway. We listened with much curiosity as the kids drummed and eventual began to howl. It was explained to us oldies that the drumming brings on a primitive trance like state. Hmmm and perhaps some special brownies help too. San Marcos is the place to come to learn holistic healing,yoga ,lmeditation and I guess drumming! Ron has even begun to like the vegetarian diet. Everywhere we go, our stay is being enriched by the people we meet and their stories. Yesterday we meet a professor of anthropology from Albany who shared his lifetime love of Guatemala, the Mayan culture. He comes here every year to do research. The other day we had lunch with a 70+ year old and his wife of NFA who give workshops around the world. He is a hypnotherapist and was fascinating to speak with. And of course we have oodles of time for the young people we meet who are bursting with energy to explore here. Most have a plan after here- lots of med students lots of teachers and even young families. Some are content to hang out till they figure their world out. Good luck with that! We got to experience first hand the medical care here as Ron had trouble with kidney stones. We were fortunate to find an English speaking doc who treated him very well. We are making plans to see other areas of Guatemala as our time on the lake is coming to an end.

Comments
Vessel Name: Namaste
Vessel Make/Model: Pearson 40
Hailing Port: Galveston
Social:
Namaste's Photos - Main
13 Photos
Created 7 June 2019
22 Photos
Created 7 April 2019
bits and pieces
No Photos
Created 5 December 2017
We went with the Offshore Cruisers Club on a bus tour to Tikal. We stayed in El Renete a lovely hotel 40 mins from Tikal. There are many ruins excavated but the majority of them remain covered in vegetation. The major temples are accessible and we walked up many of them and had wonderful vistas from the tops. There were howlers and squirrel monkeys in the trees but mostly we saw coatis - a raccoon like animal scurrying around. We had seen them also in Panajachel. The group we went with were lots of fun and we got to know some quite well like Jean and Bent from Denmark - sailing on a 57 foot cat and heading to Australia.
4 Photos
Created 5 December 2017
20 Photos
Created 22 July 2017
No Photos
Created 13 July 2017
20 Photos
Created 13 July 2017
7 Photos
Created 19 June 2017
22 Photos
Created 28 April 2017
Arrived February 1
No Photos
Created 10 April 2017
No Photos
Created 17 August 2016
9 Photos
Created 17 August 2016
4 Photos
Created 10 June 2016
No Photos
Created 3 May 2016
good times away from boat maintenance
2 Photos
Created 26 April 2016
first sunset, first dinner,
4 Photos
Created 26 April 2016
Squeezzing into small places, Climbing tall places,
7 Photos
Created 26 April 2016
Trial run crossing the Gulf on a catarmaran, working as crew with Jay Bailey, friend and teacher and Doug Kendal, captain and owner. March 11-22, 2016
23 Photos
Created 26 March 2016
Working and playing in Texas.
12 Photos
Created 9 February 2016
Pictures through Montana of heavy snow, Wyoming setting sun and Kansas fields.
18 Photos
Created 26 January 2016
our first look at our new home
12 Photos
Created 10 December 2015