Voyages of S/V NautiMoments

A Sailing Trip to the Caribbean and Other Destinations unknown.

Enjoying La Cruz

11 January 2012
Carole
As you know from the previous blog entry we went home for Christmas. We managed to fit in visits with our son and his girlfriend Roza, Carole's mum, Ken's sister and family, brothers and sisters and several of our friends (sorry to those we did not manage to see). It was cold up there; we have acclimatized to the warmer weather here. We had a great Christmas!
We flew in on New Year's eve and our friends Dick from Full & By and our friend Rick from Point Roberts picked us up at the airport...thanks so much guys! We managed to fit in a visit with Julie and Rick (Reverie from Point Roberts) while they were visiting Full & By. Fun was had by all. We said farewell to Full & By and Buena Vida along with Rick and Julie as they head to places farther south. We will miss them and look forward to meeting up as we head south in a week or so.
Our friends Bill and Bonny flew into Puerto Vallarta the day after we did, it is great to see them! We stayed with them for a couple of nights at their hotel downtown and they stayed with us for a couple of nights, it has been great fun. All four of us explored Old town Puerto Vallarta and had a blast, the market goes on and on and on forever and took several hours. Last Friday we took a tour to San Sebastian up in the mountains; it really is an old Mexican town from years ago. We highly recommend taking this tour. First off we stopped at an old Hacienda owned by the actor John Houston, next was a small coffee plantation where they grind their own coffee and sell to the public, after that we had lunch at a restaurant not far away....wow what a great meal (all part of the package). Friday was three Kings day so to our surprise and the bus drivers', they had a piƱata for us to take a whack at and also had a special cake with small dolls inside, if you got a doll you had to put on a dinner on Feb 7th (at least I think that was the date). Then onto San Sebastian itself, it truly is a town from the past, we visited the jail, the church, the museum and a silver retail outlet, there are silver mines around San Sebastian. We were amazed with the trip already but there was more to come, on the way home we stopped at a Tequila tasting to be had, their Almond tequila tasted just like Amaretto, so needless to say we bought a bottle and so did Bill and Bonny.
On Monday January 9th, we headed out in the boat with Bill and Bonny, hoping to see whales and we did, they had several sighting of the whales broaching. Bonny had also wanted to see a Sea Turtle, which we had not seen yet and lo and behold there was a Sea Turtle with birds catching a ride on its back. This was an amazing boat trip for them. We tied to a mooring ball in Yolapa and went ashore, Bonny was able to find more treasures to take home to the family. We had planned on staying overnight but the swell picked up in the anchorage so we had to move on and return to La Cruz marina. This ended up being a night sail and Bonny was amazed at the moon and the stars that lit up the sea as we motored along. It was quiet and peaceful.
The next day we headed on the bus to Sayulita, a surfer town just north of La Cruz. We continue to be amazed at the little towns, it was fantastic, lots of restaurants, shops, people surfer in the ocean, it was a bustling little town. When we got back to the boat it was time for Bill and Bonny to return to their hotel downtown, we were sad to see them go. It has been a hectic week and a half since we returned from Vancouver.
Carole was not feeling well when we returned from Sayulita and it ended up that she had the flu, so she was pretty much laying low today. This a good time for Carole to update the blog for sure!
Comments
Vessel Name: NautiMoments
Vessel Make/Model: Hunter 41DS
Hailing Port: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Crew: Ken and Carole Downes
About:
Carole was born in England and Ken was born in the Okanagan Valley, British Columbia. Our home is in Cloverdale, BC, Canada. In August 2011 we sail for San Francisco, Mexico, Panama, Caribbean then Europe and the Mediterranean. We plan to cruise for as long as we enjoy it and we are able. [...]
NautiMoments's Photos - Main
30 Photos
Created 18 January 2013
14 Photos
Created 18 January 2013
2 Photos
Created 18 January 2013
15 Photos
Created 17 January 2013
41 Photos
Created 17 January 2013
14 Photos
Created 17 January 2013
23 Photos
Created 17 January 2013
20 Photos
Created 17 January 2013
3 Photos
Created 17 January 2013
13 Photos
Created 17 January 2013
2 Photos
Created 17 January 2013
20 Photos
Created 19 December 2012
14 Photos
Created 19 December 2012
19 Photos
Created 5 December 2012
Here are some images we took of El Salvador and Guatamala. These images show the diversity and culture of these countries.
32 Photos
Created 10 May 2012
Here is some shots of us and other boats crossing the bar at Bahia del Sol. Some of the images look worse then it actually is as they are taken from a jetski just ahead of the boats. Everyone enjoyed the ride. Some of the women who helmed across the bar said it was better then sex; but I doubt that.
15 Photos
Created 5 May 2012
6 Photos
Created 22 March 2012
21 Photos
Created 29 February 2012
21 Photos
Created 29 February 2012
38 Photos
Created 14 February 2012
14 Photos
Created 5 February 2012
4 Photos
Created 1 February 2012
21 Photos
Created 25 January 2012
20 Photos
Created 11 January 2012
20 Photos
Created 30 November 2011
6 Photos
Created 8 November 2011
25 Photos
Created 8 November 2011
20 Photos
Created 8 November 2011
7 Photos
Created 8 November 2011
Two Harbours and Avalon
52 Photos
Created 26 September 2011
13 Photos
Created 26 September 2011
20 Photos
Created 22 September 2011
18 Photos
Created 22 September 2011
9 Photos
Created 22 September 2011
10 Photos
Created 8 September 2011
20 Photos
Created 7 September 2011
5 Photos
Created 25 November 2010
55 Photos
Created 15 October 2010
In July 2010 NautiMoments, with her crew of 5 onboard, joined 8 other member boat of the Blue Water Cruising to sail offshore. This was a test of our boats and our selves. At 8:00 on July 13 we sailed from our birth in Point Roberts, down the Strait of Georgia, Boundary Pass, Haro Strait, Strait of Juan de Fuca and up the west coast of Vancouver Island to Ucluelet, with overnight stops in Sooke, Bamfield and Turtle Bay (in the Broken Island Group). We then sailed offshore before returning to the Broken Group. Then we sailed the return trip to our home port of Point Roberts.
33 Photos
Created 16 August 2010
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover ........(Mark Twain)........ Life is too short to not live your dreams.