Voyages of S/V NautiMoments

A Sailing Trip to the Caribbean and Other Destinations unknown.

Boat surfing 101; Crossing the bar at Bahia del Sol El Salvador March 15

23 March 2012 | Bahia del Sol, El Salvador
Ken
Our trip from Chiapas to Bahia del Sol in El Salvador was great. We were able to sail quite a bit and the night passage was under star filled skies. The moon rose about 11:00pm with what looked like a red light of a vessel and morphed into a beautiful red sky resembling a sunset then into a brilliant full moon.
Our next challenge was to cross the bar into our destination, Bahia del Sol. In the early morning hours us and five other boats gathered at a meeting point just outside the bar waiting for slack flood tide. When we look towards shore all we see is 8-12' rollers which then develop into breaking waves. It looks quite daunting ashore but it is what we have to do or carry on to Costa Rica. We all are reading the literature about crossing the bar: keep the boat perpendicular to the surf, use FULL power once you start crossing the bar and don't hold back unless instructed, have a crew member looking backwards at the wave telling you to steer port or starboard to ensure you are perpendicular to the wave, don't worry about the jet ski ahead of you as he will get out of your way as you charge down the wave, etc. We all prepped our boats by ensuring everything is secure on deck, all windows and hatches are closed including the companionway, engine will maintain FULL power for 5 minutes without overheating, etc. We then tethered ourselves to the boat so if we broached or a wave hit us we would not be swept overboard. This is all precautionary but we believe in being prepared for the worst and hoping for the best.
Everyone is escorted across the bar one at a time by two people on a jet ski. We all line up to wait our turn; we are to be the fourth boat to cross. The first boats are Warren Peace, Gosling and Kwan yin 1. Everyone keeps it perpendicular to the waves and surf down 3 - 4 large waves. Only Kwan yin 1 had a wave break into the cockpit but other than a wet crew, no harm was done. We see the jet ski jump over the surf to guide us in; it's our turn. We advance to the edge of the surf and hold. Then our guides say full power and we surge forward going as fast as we can. About an eight foot wave picked us up and we bulleted down at about 12 knots. Then the next one came then the third and the same thing, but the wave height was way less for us than the other boats had experienced. The next thing our guides said was "welcome to El Salvador, they really opened the gates for you", follow the boat ahead into the estuary. We ended up having the easy ride that day but no-one had any issues. Later at the bar we all said how easy and thrilling it was.
We are now moored in the estuary along with 30-40 other cruisers. It is beautiful and calm and you hear the surf breaking just the other side of the peninsula.
Comments
Vessel Name: NautiMoments
Vessel Make/Model: Hunter 41DS
Hailing Port: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Crew: Ken and Carole Downes
About:
Carole was born in England and Ken was born in the Okanagan Valley, British Columbia. Our home is in Cloverdale, BC, Canada. In August 2011 we sail for San Francisco, Mexico, Panama, Caribbean then Europe and the Mediterranean. We plan to cruise for as long as we enjoy it and we are able. [...]
NautiMoments's Photos - Main
30 Photos
Created 18 January 2013
14 Photos
Created 18 January 2013
2 Photos
Created 18 January 2013
15 Photos
Created 17 January 2013
41 Photos
Created 17 January 2013
14 Photos
Created 17 January 2013
23 Photos
Created 17 January 2013
20 Photos
Created 17 January 2013
3 Photos
Created 17 January 2013
13 Photos
Created 17 January 2013
2 Photos
Created 17 January 2013
20 Photos
Created 19 December 2012
14 Photos
Created 19 December 2012
19 Photos
Created 5 December 2012
Here are some images we took of El Salvador and Guatamala. These images show the diversity and culture of these countries.
32 Photos
Created 10 May 2012
Here is some shots of us and other boats crossing the bar at Bahia del Sol. Some of the images look worse then it actually is as they are taken from a jetski just ahead of the boats. Everyone enjoyed the ride. Some of the women who helmed across the bar said it was better then sex; but I doubt that.
15 Photos
Created 5 May 2012
6 Photos
Created 22 March 2012
21 Photos
Created 29 February 2012
21 Photos
Created 29 February 2012
38 Photos
Created 14 February 2012
14 Photos
Created 5 February 2012
4 Photos
Created 1 February 2012
21 Photos
Created 25 January 2012
20 Photos
Created 11 January 2012
20 Photos
Created 30 November 2011
6 Photos
Created 8 November 2011
25 Photos
Created 8 November 2011
20 Photos
Created 8 November 2011
7 Photos
Created 8 November 2011
Two Harbours and Avalon
52 Photos
Created 26 September 2011
13 Photos
Created 26 September 2011
20 Photos
Created 22 September 2011
18 Photos
Created 22 September 2011
9 Photos
Created 22 September 2011
10 Photos
Created 8 September 2011
20 Photos
Created 7 September 2011
5 Photos
Created 25 November 2010
55 Photos
Created 15 October 2010
In July 2010 NautiMoments, with her crew of 5 onboard, joined 8 other member boat of the Blue Water Cruising to sail offshore. This was a test of our boats and our selves. At 8:00 on July 13 we sailed from our birth in Point Roberts, down the Strait of Georgia, Boundary Pass, Haro Strait, Strait of Juan de Fuca and up the west coast of Vancouver Island to Ucluelet, with overnight stops in Sooke, Bamfield and Turtle Bay (in the Broken Island Group). We then sailed offshore before returning to the Broken Group. Then we sailed the return trip to our home port of Point Roberts.
33 Photos
Created 16 August 2010
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover ........(Mark Twain)........ Life is too short to not live your dreams.