Sailing Adventures of Necessity

07 October 2014 | Murcia Region, Spain
05 October 2014 | Valencia
03 October 2014 | Formentera
01 October 2014 | Ibiza
29 September 2014 | Western Mediterranean Sea
28 September 2014 | Hammamet, Tunisia
22 September 2014 | Sicilian Straits
19 September 2014
17 September 2014 | Licata, Sicily
30 June 2014 | Azores
15 June 2014 | Galicia
22 May 2014 | Sicily
19 May 2014 | Licata, Sicily
17 May 2014 | Marina di Ragusa
16 May 2014 | Marsala
14 May 2014 | Licata
12 May 2014 | Malta to Tunisia Passage
11 May 2014 | Marina di Cala del Sole
09 May 2014 | Malta

Crew Change at Gocek

28 April 2012 | Gocek
Dean
Located at the head of Skopea Bay, and very close to the Dalaman Airport, Gocek is an ideal choice for a crew change.
Sadly after almost a month of cruising with the Admiral (BVI and Turkey), Frank was off early in the morning to catch his flight out. But not before a farewell meal ashore in this picturesque town of 3,000. We found a wonderful outdoor restaurant on a back street near the mosque. The speakers at the top of the minaret call the faithful to prayer five times per day. Two hours before sunrise, sunrise, high noon, sunset and two hours after sunset. The mournful cries add to the experience. Our waiter is very good and gives us complimentary tea or coffee in the mornings when we return to connect to the WIFI. In fact it is not unusual for a shop keeper to offer a refreshment of Turkish tea served in a small glass cup and saucer. Tiny spoon and two cubes of sugar. Even the workers in the street are served tea from a runner carrying a large tray of teas. No money changes hand. Perhaps a reckoning of accounts occurs with the employer, not sure.
Gocek also boasts an astonishing number of marine chandleries. All very well stocked. Last year we had experienced great difficulty in purchasing a Lofrans windlass from suppliers in Italy (Lofrans is an Italian company). In Gocek I found two Lofrans dealers each with a windlass in the window! Batteries, paint cordage, belts – a staggering array of products. Plus the ever present carpet sellers. Many shops and cafes. It is the same in Marmaris and Fethiye. Seems everyone has a shop and they are all full to bursting with products. Some haggling does occur however no where near what occurs in the markets of Tunisia or Morocco.
Crew and I would like to express our heartfelt thanks to the Admiral for an incredible BVI sailing experience and also for all his help getting Necessity launched and ready for sea. And for being such a great shipmate. Thanks Frank. We don’t care what other people say about you, you are the best!
Comments
Vessel Name: Necessity
Vessel Make/Model: Corbin 39 Mark II Pilothouse
Hailing Port: Bayfield, Ontario, Canada
Crew: Dean Nisbett & Brian Hall
Extra:
Departed Bayfield, Ont. in 2006. New York to Azores in 2007, Azores to Galicia, Spain and down the Iberian Penninsula in 2008. Spain & Morocco in 2009. Spain-Corsica-Sardinia-Sicily-Tunisia in 2010. Tunisia-Malta-Montenegro-Croatia-Venice-Greece-Turkey, over 2,000 miles over four months, 14 [...]