Sailing Adventures of Necessity

07 October 2014 | Murcia Region, Spain
05 October 2014 | Valencia
03 October 2014 | Formentera
01 October 2014 | Ibiza
29 September 2014 | Western Mediterranean Sea
28 September 2014 | Hammamet, Tunisia
22 September 2014 | Sicilian Straits
19 September 2014
17 September 2014 | Licata, Sicily
30 June 2014 | Azores
15 June 2014 | Galicia
22 May 2014 | Sicily
19 May 2014 | Licata, Sicily
17 May 2014 | Marina di Ragusa
16 May 2014 | Marsala
14 May 2014 | Licata
12 May 2014 | Malta to Tunisia Passage
11 May 2014 | Marina di Cala del Sole
09 May 2014 | Malta

Passage to Turkey

09 June 2012 | Marmaris Yacht Marina
Dean
240 nm is a long way to go upwind. The regular flow this far east in the Levant is westerly. Marmaris bears 300 degrees so a little south in the regular westerly flow would help us. Having our new sacrificial plastic chicken on boat must have worked at the light 10 knot breeze was about 240 degrees for the first 30 hours of the 50 hour trip. Made 130 nm in the first 24 hours by easy motor sailing.
However as all sailors know all winds are fickle and end up coming on the nose. A big 20 knot wind produced large waves such that Necessity had to bear off under reduced sail for 7 hours slowly going the wrong way through the night. Of course this is when a shroud decided to part company requiring a hasty repair on the rolling foredeck. Thanks goodness for being double stayed and shrouded. Early in the morning the winds abated and the sea settled down very quickly allowing us to get back on course with the iron spinnaker.
The VHF radio is always on 16 of course. Early in the morning I had switched the station to pick up the weather report from Rhodes. Unknown to us we were in the middle of a live fire Turkish naval exercise area! A Turkish coast guard vessel approached us at speed holding up his radio. We switch to 16 to get the relevant information and the heck out of the area. Sure enough eight armed naval destroyers arrive and did numerous maneuvers off our stern. Later in the day one passed close aboard. All smiles and waves from the crew.
A strong west wind came up yet again but with enough south in it to allow us to make good time into the magic bay of Marmaris. Like coming home to us now as this is our third time here. Great scenery, a wonderful marina, friendly staff, a beautiful infinity pool and the fabulous restaurant. Did not even look at the menu as it was going to be grilled calamari for me hands down. Such a disconnect to have a first class dining facility at a marina that serves up wonder dishes like "shin bone in the oven" at very low prices.
So after 51 days of cruising the south coast of Turkey and the coasts of Cyprus we have logged 870 sea miles with the help of some wonderful crew, nine in all. So fortunate to have such good friends and competent sailors.
Comments
Vessel Name: Necessity
Vessel Make/Model: Corbin 39 Mark II Pilothouse
Hailing Port: Bayfield, Ontario, Canada
Crew: Dean Nisbett & Brian Hall
Extra:
Departed Bayfield, Ont. in 2006. New York to Azores in 2007, Azores to Galicia, Spain and down the Iberian Penninsula in 2008. Spain & Morocco in 2009. Spain-Corsica-Sardinia-Sicily-Tunisia in 2010. Tunisia-Malta-Montenegro-Croatia-Venice-Greece-Turkey, over 2,000 miles over four months, 14 [...]