Sailing Adventures of Necessity

07 October 2014 | Murcia Region, Spain
05 October 2014 | Valencia
03 October 2014 | Formentera
01 October 2014 | Ibiza
29 September 2014 | Western Mediterranean Sea
28 September 2014 | Hammamet, Tunisia
22 September 2014 | Sicilian Straits
19 September 2014
17 September 2014 | Licata, Sicily
30 June 2014 | Azores
15 June 2014 | Galicia
22 May 2014 | Sicily
19 May 2014 | Licata, Sicily
17 May 2014 | Marina di Ragusa
16 May 2014 | Marsala
14 May 2014 | Licata
12 May 2014 | Malta to Tunisia Passage
11 May 2014 | Marina di Cala del Sole
09 May 2014 | Malta

Upwind in Two Directions

12 October 2012 | Turgut, Turkey
Brian
Wed October 10, 2012
The morning dawned cloudy with some thunderheads in the distance and an East wind. We waited for a couple showers to pass and elected to head West to the only town in the Gulf, Datca where we could top up our water and have a look around. We motored the 13 miles as the wind had switched west and as we arrived the wind seemed to build and veer SW. Arriving in Datca, we performed our first true Med Mooring. Instead of pick up lines to hold the stern off the wall, we had to deploy a stern anchor, dropped well out and snugged just before we reached the cay in between two other larger boats. We did pretty well with no casualties, however the increasing breeze was sending an uncomfortable surge into our wharf which was actually outside the protection of the breakwall. We made the decision to change plans and left within the hour after filling with water and Rene making a quick grocery run. Back out in the bay, we headed to the south shore where there would be better protection from the wind which was south to SW, again upwind. We did sail for about an hour near the end of the crossing and checked a couple possible anchorages before entering a large bay with a town at the bottom called Selmiye. It looked attractive, but the small marina was full and the only place was a hotel where Med Moor was the only option. WE had seen a pretty little bay on our way in ad decided to check it out but the depths were too great and the bay too small to anchor safely. It was nearly sunset and we headed in to the one last bay and reaching the bottom, found it too was deep right up to the shore. Working around to the corner where there was a restaurant which looked closed, we were greeted by someone on their rusting steel dock who waved us in. Out of options, we accepted the offer and were soon tied to the solid but rusty structure. The owner introduced himself as Memhet and wanted to know how many amps our solar panels were putting out. In broken English, he showed us his new solar array and invited us for dinner in the restaurant. After a much needed drink (or 2) we changed and walked the 50’ to the outdoor restaurant where we had our choice of tables. Although there was a secondary road nearby we were to be the only diners tonight. We picked out four Mesas (marinated salads or appetizers) which included stuffed squash blossoms and were the best we have had. After our last experience, we asked the price before ordering wine and found it reasonable. Rene and John split a Dorado fish, Barb had Calamari and of course, I had the Octopus! A great dinner and a lovely location. Another early night was called for.

Brian onboard Necessity, Turgut Turkey


Comments
Vessel Name: Necessity
Vessel Make/Model: Corbin 39 Mark II Pilothouse
Hailing Port: Bayfield, Ontario, Canada
Crew: Dean Nisbett & Brian Hall
Extra:
Departed Bayfield, Ont. in 2006. New York to Azores in 2007, Azores to Galicia, Spain and down the Iberian Penninsula in 2008. Spain & Morocco in 2009. Spain-Corsica-Sardinia-Sicily-Tunisia in 2010. Tunisia-Malta-Montenegro-Croatia-Venice-Greece-Turkey, over 2,000 miles over four months, 14 [...]