Sailing Adventures of Necessity

07 October 2014 | Murcia Region, Spain
05 October 2014 | Valencia
03 October 2014 | Formentera
01 October 2014 | Ibiza
29 September 2014 | Western Mediterranean Sea
28 September 2014 | Hammamet, Tunisia
22 September 2014 | Sicilian Straits
19 September 2014
17 September 2014 | Licata, Sicily
30 June 2014 | Azores
15 June 2014 | Galicia
22 May 2014 | Sicily
19 May 2014 | Licata, Sicily
17 May 2014 | Marina di Ragusa
16 May 2014 | Marsala
14 May 2014 | Licata
12 May 2014 | Malta to Tunisia Passage
11 May 2014 | Marina di Cala del Sole
09 May 2014 | Malta

The Big Hike to Heaven (Island)

07 April 2013 | Marmaris Turkey
Brian Hall

Saturday April 6, 2013
Slept in (again) and had a leisurely morning (that’s defined by finishing breakfast at 11). I raised the Canadian & Turkish flags onboard while Rene caught up on the dishes and we headed off to the library to check email. We learned that Jennifer has been admitted to Childrens Hospital as her time draws nearer and we were able to speak to her via Skype. She is comfortable and patiently awaiting future developments. We wish we were closer but at least we can talk.
On our way back we picked up the refilled propane tank at the grocery store just as they had promised. These North American propane tanks don’t exist here as small butane bottles are the norm so we were pleased to get our large tank refilled once again. No telling when that will happen next. It was expensive but we got it done and reinstalled on Necessity.
We decided some exercise was in order and set off to hike up the island next to the marina. The marina sits on reclaimed land between the mainland and a small island (approx 1500’ high) which protects Marmaris bay from the sea. I have no idea how much fill it must have taken to create the causeway and marina but it is very substantial. The island, called Cennet Adasi or Heaven Island has been designated as a natural park and restricted from development. The unimproved road led back and forth up the hill with great views of the marina and the Bay of Marmaris. On our way up we were passed by four local boys on mountain bikes and a variety of others in cars and on motorcycles enjoying the sunshine and mild temps. We left the road to follow a track which went more uphill and before long saw a set of steps off to one side. They led over a hill and down into a huge cave which was used in prehistoric times as a temple. It was open to one side but the overhanging rock created a natural amphitheatre. Inside the same 4 cyclists were climbing around and taking pictures and as they exited we started talking. Two of them knew some English. We asked how far to the summit and they offered to guide us. On the way up they told us they were in a 4 year mandatory military service in the Turkish Navy. They were interested in Canada and seemed not to know much about the outside world although one man, Ishmael, said he plans to come to Canada one day. We showed them pictures of Lake Huron all frozen before we left and took pictures of each other. They tried to teach us some simple Turkish words but they don’t seem to stay with us. They shared some Turkish sweets and we parted as friends. The walk downhill was about 45 minutes, half the trip up and we arrived back on Necessity at 6 for a sundowner and some reading. A quiet evening onboard followed.
Brian onboard Necessity, Marmaris Turkeye
Comments
Vessel Name: Necessity
Vessel Make/Model: Corbin 39 Mark II Pilothouse
Hailing Port: Bayfield, Ontario, Canada
Crew: Dean Nisbett & Brian Hall
Extra:
Departed Bayfield, Ont. in 2006. New York to Azores in 2007, Azores to Galicia, Spain and down the Iberian Penninsula in 2008. Spain & Morocco in 2009. Spain-Corsica-Sardinia-Sicily-Tunisia in 2010. Tunisia-Malta-Montenegro-Croatia-Venice-Greece-Turkey, over 2,000 miles over four months, 14 [...]