Sailing Adventures of Necessity

07 October 2014 | Murcia Region, Spain
05 October 2014 | Valencia
03 October 2014 | Formentera
01 October 2014 | Ibiza
29 September 2014 | Western Mediterranean Sea
28 September 2014 | Hammamet, Tunisia
22 September 2014 | Sicilian Straits
19 September 2014
17 September 2014 | Licata, Sicily
30 June 2014 | Azores
15 June 2014 | Galicia
22 May 2014 | Sicily
19 May 2014 | Licata, Sicily
17 May 2014 | Marina di Ragusa
16 May 2014 | Marsala
14 May 2014 | Licata
12 May 2014 | Malta to Tunisia Passage
11 May 2014 | Marina di Cala del Sole
09 May 2014 | Malta

Bureaucracy in Action

25 April 2013 | Aghios Nikolaos
Brian Hall

Wed April 24, 2013
Brenda & Howard headed off to put a couple loads of laundry in the coin operated washer only to find they were 3rd in line. A better option was to go to a laundry in town who promised it back by 6 about the same money. Brian & Rene went to the office where the office manager copied forms and took details about Necessity. Next we were instructed to go to the tax office, a few blocks away to pay a “lifting tax” to the city who owns the marina. Off we went with a sketchy map looking for an office called DOA. We found an office which looked reasonable so we went in and took a number. Sitting there, Rene became suspicious and finally asked a desk person if this was in fact the Tax office. Turns out it was a medical centre and we were in line to pay for our treatment. Off we went and after a couple of enquiries, we discovered the office around the back and on the third floor. When we showed the clerk the paperwork they completed the necessary forms and asked us to go to the cashier to settle the account – 0.88 Euros ($1 CDN). Next it was off to the port office to check in and update our transit log. Most importantly we got the stamp we needed on our lifting permit for the marina to see. It took 6 Coast Guard personnel to get the necessary forms ready. Total cost, 8 Euros. She did inform us that a Greek cruising permit was due every 3 months. As she explained it the charge was 14.67E per day. Quickly doing the math for 3 months the number became astronomical! We asked again and finally clarified that is a one-time charge of 14.67 E per meter of boat length – not per day. Much better.
Returning to Necessity Brian & Howard went to pick up the clean laundry. They had to wait for the last load and explored the area while they waited checking out a couple of restaurants for future reference.
We went around to the next bay and chose a traditional Greek restaurant next to the water. He had a wood fired grill stoked with a hair dryer on the street. The owner assured us that it would be the best food in town and proceeded to bring baked potatoes finished on the grill. Delicious with olive oil. Brian as usual, had grilled octopus and Rene had prawns. Howard and Brenda had baked lamb and veal dishes. Dessert was complimentary and included cheese filled pastry squares drizzled with honey, served with pear, orange and kiwi slices, and Raki.
Returning to Necessity, we Skyped Jennifer and headed to bed.
Brian on board Necessity, Aghios Nikolaos, Greece
Comments
Vessel Name: Necessity
Vessel Make/Model: Corbin 39 Mark II Pilothouse
Hailing Port: Bayfield, Ontario, Canada
Crew: Dean Nisbett & Brian Hall
Extra:
Departed Bayfield, Ont. in 2006. New York to Azores in 2007, Azores to Galicia, Spain and down the Iberian Penninsula in 2008. Spain & Morocco in 2009. Spain-Corsica-Sardinia-Sicily-Tunisia in 2010. Tunisia-Malta-Montenegro-Croatia-Venice-Greece-Turkey, over 2,000 miles over four months, 14 [...]