Sailing Adventures of Necessity

07 October 2014 | Murcia Region, Spain
05 October 2014 | Valencia
03 October 2014 | Formentera
01 October 2014 | Ibiza
29 September 2014 | Western Mediterranean Sea
28 September 2014 | Hammamet, Tunisia
22 September 2014 | Sicilian Straits
19 September 2014
17 September 2014 | Licata, Sicily
30 June 2014 | Azores
15 June 2014 | Galicia
22 May 2014 | Sicily
19 May 2014 | Licata, Sicily
17 May 2014 | Marina di Ragusa
16 May 2014 | Marsala
14 May 2014 | Licata
12 May 2014 | Malta to Tunisia Passage
11 May 2014 | Marina di Cala del Sole
09 May 2014 | Malta

Departure for Malta

12 April 2014
Brian Hall

Tuesday April 8, 2014
Brian was up early to meet with the boatyard about some work to be done and to return the rental car. After breakfast Jim & Brian tried to resolve the problem with the starting battery and finally agreed that it needed replacement. Meanwhile, Rene & Jackie headed to the Post Office to pay the parking ticket acquired in Syracuse. They encountered a long lineup and had to have the attendant intervene in order to avoid being pushed to the back of the line. Jackie was informed that taking pictures were forbidden. The afternoon was spent readying Necessity for sea and after a dinner on board of fresh pasta Bolognese, the crew departed about 6:00 PM for the 77NM passage to Malta. With 15kn on the beam the engine was soon off and in choppy seas an acceptable 6 knots was achieved. Brian stood the first watch till midnight then Rene took over. The engine had to be started a couple of times as the wind died but it was mostly a good passage under sail arriving in Grand Harbour, Valletta about 8AM. Valletta traffic control managed the entry and we were informed that coming from another EU country no formal check-in was required.
Rene took a nap while the others explored Birgu (now called Vittoriosa). It was the original settlement begun in 1530 by the Knights of St. John. It is a lovely limestone town rebuilt after the second WW devastation. There is a fort at the end of each of the three cities built on peninsulas jutting toward Valletta harbour. The place just drips with history from the Crusades and the world wars.
We found the village square and had lunch at a restaurant that used to house the St. Lawrence marching band. We enjoyed a Maltese platter which included tuna, Gozo (north Malta Island) goat cheese, bean hummus, bean salad and a sun dried tomato. Very nice! Jim had pasta as usual and Jackie enjoyed a local goulash soup.
After wandering about we returned to Necessity where one short game of Euchre was all Brian could manage. It was lights out by 8:30 for Brian & Irene.
Brian onboard Necessity
Grand Harbour, Vittorioso, Malta
Comments
Vessel Name: Necessity
Vessel Make/Model: Corbin 39 Mark II Pilothouse
Hailing Port: Bayfield, Ontario, Canada
Crew: Dean Nisbett & Brian Hall
Extra:
Departed Bayfield, Ont. in 2006. New York to Azores in 2007, Azores to Galicia, Spain and down the Iberian Penninsula in 2008. Spain & Morocco in 2009. Spain-Corsica-Sardinia-Sicily-Tunisia in 2010. Tunisia-Malta-Montenegro-Croatia-Venice-Greece-Turkey, over 2,000 miles over four months, 14 [...]