Sailing Adventures of Necessity

07 October 2014 | Murcia Region, Spain
05 October 2014 | Valencia
03 October 2014 | Formentera
01 October 2014 | Ibiza
29 September 2014 | Western Mediterranean Sea
28 September 2014 | Hammamet, Tunisia
22 September 2014 | Sicilian Straits
19 September 2014
17 September 2014 | Licata, Sicily
30 June 2014 | Azores
15 June 2014 | Galicia
22 May 2014 | Sicily
19 May 2014 | Licata, Sicily
17 May 2014 | Marina di Ragusa
16 May 2014 | Marsala
14 May 2014 | Licata
12 May 2014 | Malta to Tunisia Passage
11 May 2014 | Marina di Cala del Sole
09 May 2014 | Malta

Back to Valletta

15 April 2014
Brian Hall

Saturday April 12, 2014
Even by getting up early it seemed we were destined to miss the 9:30 ferry to Valletta as we saw it arrive ten minutes early. Expecting it would do a quick turn around and be gone, we didn’t rush to try and catch it and by the time we realized it was waiting for it’s scheduled departure it was too late to catch. In any event we got to Valletta about 10:30 and went through the State Palace which was used by the Grand Masters of the Order over the years. The frescoes were outstanding and even though the throne room was being set up with Easter displays, we could see into the beautifully crafted room. Next we toured the armory with a massive collection of armor, helmets and various fighting weapons from swords and lances to muskets and cannon. It was a very large and well organized display of medieval implements.
Afterwards, Jim & Jackie went on their own to check out St. Paul’s Anglican Cathedral which they found closed. Brian led Rene off to an Artisan’s market which included weaving, art, jewelry and some ceramics. We met back at the square and then went looking for a likely place for lunch. After checking out several candidates we settled on Angelique’s, a tiny place with chalkboard menus and a feisty woman proprietor who encouraged us to try several menu items such as Calamari stuffed with salmon & swordfish (Brian), Maltese Mousaka (Jim) and the best rabbit in Malta (according to Jamie Oliver). The meal was good but we all felt 14 Euros for olives and bread was a bit excessive. Afterwards we both split up and wandered, reconnecting about 4PM for the ferry back to Birgu. We relaxed aboard Necessity and met an Irish fellow with a boat in the harbour. He had recently moved to Malta and was really enjoying everything about the place. Later we returned to the same restaurant for pizza and fish. Seems like we are in a rut.
Brian on board Necessity
Grand Harbour, Vittorioso, Malta
Comments
Vessel Name: Necessity
Vessel Make/Model: Corbin 39 Mark II Pilothouse
Hailing Port: Bayfield, Ontario, Canada
Crew: Dean Nisbett & Brian Hall
Extra:
Departed Bayfield, Ont. in 2006. New York to Azores in 2007, Azores to Galicia, Spain and down the Iberian Penninsula in 2008. Spain & Morocco in 2009. Spain-Corsica-Sardinia-Sicily-Tunisia in 2010. Tunisia-Malta-Montenegro-Croatia-Venice-Greece-Turkey, over 2,000 miles over four months, 14 [...]