S/V NELLEKE

The ship's blog for SV Nelleke out of Shelburne, NS

3 days to go. Odd day yesterday

The club had their annual Turkey Regatta (no fowls were injured in the conduct of this race) in the pouring rain, but midway through the race the deluge stopped so they got a dry finish. Then, all evening, the club house was rockin' with the drums and bass humpin' an' thumpin' and the wind howled in accompaniment. Then almost precisely at midnight, the music stopped and the revellers went home, including the wind and from then onwards it was relatively calm.

The weather forecast for the next two days is for calm and sunny skies so guess what I'm doing with a short break today to get stuffed with Thanksgiving turkey? If you guessed boat jobs, I guess the question was too easy. Later this week it looks like we'll have another rain and windstorm on Wednesday but then on Thursday we'll have 15 knots out of the WNW which for the run down the shore to Shelburne is just about perfect for a close reach. Let's hope that holds. At any rate, with that forecast our idea of an early start right after Thanksgiving would have been a no-go anyway. As it is we are leaving at just the right time from all aspects.

Today I was able to get the NMEA lines traced and reinstalled at least to the VHF radio. I also know which lines are which in the pass through box so hooking up anything else should be relatively easy. The RADAR and chart plotter are both still working too which is an added bonus. The only thing that I would really like to have hooked up to the NMEA bus is the autohelm so that the fluxgate compass can send info to the RADAR/Chart plotter duo and allow me to superimpose the radar image on the chart. A little reading on which port is to be used and perhaps I'll be able to do that tomorrow.

In addition a must do job tomorrow is hooking up the solar panel and voltage regulator to our house bank of batteries. Then we should be able to spend more time on the hook and less plugged into a marina or running the engine. I would also like to get at least the receive only AIS reconnected and the fixin's for the Class B installed if not totally connected as yet. I will have to buy a couple of cable extensions to properly make that one work.

Today is the day that we are having our formal Thanksgiving Dinner and we could have quite a few guests - Yay! Barb has gone to town to demonstrate what can be done in a small ship's galley and we can look forward to a turkey dinner with all the trimmings and a pumpkin pie as a finale with two bottles of white wine to wash it all down with.

Signing off now to get cleaned up and ready to put on the feed bag.....

Comments