S/V NELLEKE

The ship's blog for SV Nelleke out of Shelburne, NS

Across the Gulf. Whew!

Well, two and a half days ago we set off for another crossing of the Gulf of Maine. Our departure was dictated by the fact that if we didn't go then, we would be stuck in NS for another week and then for who knows how long. We made a collective decision to eat the banging around that we knew that we were going to get on day one in return for predicted nice weather on the second and third days.

I am writing this from my seat at the nav station at a dock in Marion Mass., with a drink at my elbow, warm and comfortable, which is more than I can say about parts of the last two days....

The first day was certainly correct as far as Clearpoint is concerned! My hat is off to anyone who fishes in these waters. With the tidal current, wind, etc., it produces what must be the most confused seas that I have ever seen or heard of - waves 2 meters high coming from all directions and occasionally building to three; we had water coming in over the sides into the cockpit and not just spray! On the plus side, with the heavy weather jib and mizzen we were maintaining 7.5 kts and for a couple of hour long periods we were doing better than 8! On the negative side, although Nelleke was fine, the crew were competing in the new Olympic event - involuntary chumming! Barb won and was out of it for pretty much most of the day, so yours truly had one 20 hour watch. Barb was able to overcome her misery long enough to give me a two hour period of downtime, thank heavens. The photo attached to today's post is that of the chumming winner, wishing that it was all over.

On the second day, for once the weather Gods were right. The winds abated and the seas settled down and the sun came out. I saw a whale in the distance and after a large container ship passed us in the morning, we had two small sparrows as stowaways. We made the tip of Cape Cod by 07h00 and started across the bay and immediately were reminded of how important the fishing industry is to the economy and folks that live in this part of the world. We dodged buoys all the way across! On the plus side we saw schools of albacore feeding, one small seal and the day was generally bea-you-ti-ful!

We originally intended to clear customs at Sandwich, only o find out that the customs officers wouldn't come there due to some construction so instead we went on to Marion, a place where Moonlight Maid was planning to stay for the night anyway. By the way, we lost contact with them by 21h00 on the first night but then on our way across the bay we heard one side of Boston Coast Guard talking to them so we are expecting them soon. When we got to Marion, the Dockmaster has allowed us to stay on the town dock for the night which is a huge convenience and very much appreciated. Not only that, but he has allowed Moonlight Maid to stay here too when she arrives.

Peri still hasn't learned the purpose of the little green mat so he really likes Marion.
��f

Comments