S/V NELLEKE

The ship's blog for SV Nelleke out of Shelburne, NS

Back on the Long Island Side of NYC.

Now THIS is more like it!

We got going very early this morning. I am usually up by 05h30 but we normally don't actually start up with anything until after the sun comes out, but today, Jay came over in their dingy and took Peri and I ashore with their dog, Konishiki, for their morning poopambulations. That did enable us to get moving by first light, but I had no idea whether or not Peri was successful in his duties or not since it was so dark and he was spending a lot of time chasing around after Konishiki. Regardless, we were back in the boat by a quarter after and underway by 06h30. This is a good practice for us, for if we do wind up having to spend some time in the ICW I want to make as early as start as we can since it gets dark so soon and we will be getting delayed by bridge schedules. I'd like to aim at 60 miles a day and be satisfied with 50, but that will mean moving as soon as we can see the banks of the shore.

Yesterday and today Paula Perkins behaved perfectly to my very great relief and no small surprise. The cooling problem that we had was that after sitting at the dock for a week in Newport there was no fresh water in the engine's water jacket, none! Where did it go? I was afraid that there was a leak and went over the engine tightening all the clamps and that must have done it because for the last two days it has behaved normally - better than normal even. A mystery!

Our 35 nm trip from Port Jefferson to Port Washington was beautiful and when we got here there were folks working on their boats in their bathing suits. It was really nice to get the parkas off even if it is going to be only for a day. Since we have been three days on the hook or on free docks we have treated ourselves to a marina berth so that we can have showers and get a laundry done.

Tomorrow the dingy comes off the deck and goes back on the davits and we make for Hell's Gate and Manhattan. On the other side our plans have yet to be solidified but the weather window looks good through into the weekend. Maybe we will make some serious southing yet this week. I will post a short note tomorrow and let you know what we decide in the morning.

Comments