S/V NELLEKE

The ship's blog for SV Nelleke out of Shelburne, NS

Waiting out the weather (sigh!)

You wouldn't think that in the ICW weather would be all that much of a factor in makling a go - no go decision, but it is especially when you are planning to cross some of the large sounds that comprise much of the AICW. So, today we are paying for our nice day yesterday, by sitting it out at the dock while 30 kt winds blow around us. Nelleke is being pushed and pulled at the piling dock that we are staying at but we are secure and the power is on so we have the electric heater running and we are warm and dry.

Last night Screech said that they were going to head out today for Elizabeth City as they found a weather site that said that the winds would be less. Reality, however, is different so as I write this piece of the blog in the early morning hours I am hoping that they'll look outside and change their minds. Nope! They're off! I can't say that I blame them. The weather certainly appears a lot better than the weather witches are forecasting and they only have a 3 hour slog in the worst case against the headwind if it comes to that and they have a really big engine and loads of fuel. So, I expect that they'll be in Elizabeth City tied up to one of the free docks by about 14h00 and looking around for the dinner movie theatre or the spa that they had been reading about. We, on the other hand will be staying here for another day to make use of the power and await a slight break in the wind predictions and then heading out for Alligator River. Once off, we may elect to head on to Bear Point where we stopped with Silverheels III last year or at the Alligator River Marina. The former spot is free but has the disadvantage of not being somewhere that Peri can have one of his poop-ambulations, whereas the marina casts but we would be able to take Peri ashore. It would also give me a chance to ensure that the repairs that I have made to the engine are taking effect. Then we could head on through the canal to Bellhaven and the next day to RE Mayo and then to Core Creek which should give everything a chance to arrive. I would really like to have a functioning wind generator as well as the solar panels before we start further south. That will give us a chance to anchor off in some degree of comfort with all other the electrical paraphernalia that we have aboard.

This morning, after the stormy night, the sun came out; not as warm as yesterday but it was nice to have the bright day. Barb and I walked to the post office to get a letter off to Kayt who is handling all the bureaucratic bumph that retirement requires. This time it is for the health plan that the system provides to service members.

I am fairly sure that I have found the source of the coolant leak in the engine - a simple piece of 3" long hose bridging two parts of the water jacket and attached by hose clamps. The hose clamps are slightly loose and when the engine gets hot the clamps expand at a different rate than the block and cool down at a different rate too, but when the engine is running the block expands and tightens the connection with the result that there is a slight leak after the engine has stopped and things start to cool down. Unfortunately the screw for tightening the hose clamp is in a position that the tools that I have won't let me get at so I will probably have to get a professional to do it and charge me for a couple of hours work. Coises! The alternator belt is well tightened now though so hopefully that problem will be in the past.

Before they left Screech brought over some turkey leftovers so that'll be what we have for diner this evening - turkey with dressing and cranberry sauce sandwiches - yummy! Followed by some movies on our DVD player.

Comments