S/V NELLEKE

The ship's blog for SV Nelleke out of Shelburne, NS

Friday.

The evening after the storm some of the folks that pretty much live at the marina decided that we all needed something to get our minds off events of the previous night and started a bonfire pot luck roast. I brought our famous mac 'n cheese and others brought salads and still others brought pork chops and we all brought the need to party. Then, the night after the storm has been almost an apology from the weather, it has been so calm. I had to get up at one point to make sure that we weren't aground there was so little motion, but all was well.

It looks like the insurance is going to honour pretty much everything beyond the deductible on our claim, which as you can imagine is a great relief. We have put in the order for the solar panel and for the replacement chocks and they should be delivered sometime next week. Hurrah!

Barb and I walked into town again today taking the scenic route along the river wall to the inner harbour. Oriental really is a very pretty little town. Tomorrow there will be a big pig BBQ at the marina down town with the proceeds going to the toys for tots program that the USMC does at Christmas time so we'll be going to that. There is also a "Farmer's Market every Saturday morning, so we'll be going to that too. Today we spent some time in stores looking for just the right thing to send back to Ottawa for my folks for their Christmas presents. They are at a difficult stage to buy for as they insist that they don't want anything, but from my point of view it simply wouldn't be Christmas if they didn't get something from us. It is getting to a point that for something to arrive in time it is costing almost as much to ship it as it does itself.

Short one today. I don't want to be boring. But, and by the way, I'd like to thank everyone who took the trouble to post comments of support after the storm. Kind wishes are always a delight to receive.

Comments