S/V NELLEKE

The ship's blog for SV Nelleke out of Shelburne, NS

Harborwalk Marina, Georgetown,SC

Today we made a relatively short jump down the ditch to Georgetown to position us for a long day tomorrow to Charleston and to allow us to buy a few Christmas gifts for each other so there will be some things under the tree. My Mom and Dad sent us down some funds for us to buy some gifts from them and we have already sent theirs and Kayt and Christopher's off to them so this was definitely last minute stuff for self. The problem is compounded buy the fact that I have already bought Barb's major gift back in Newport (she picked it out) so I am really getting some additional stuff so I won't look like a complete pig on Christmas morning with all the presents for me.

I have one more thing to say about the Osprey Marina before we move on. Last night a squall storm front came through with gale force winds, etc and we wouldn't have realized it if it weren't for the thunder and lightning and torrential rain. Pulling into this place was one of the smarter moves that we made, weather wise, this trip.

This part of the ICW is by far and away our favourite! The US President should declare it a national treasure and preserve it so someone won't get the clever idea of building condos or McMansions on it - pristine wilderness, wildlife, and honest nature eking out survival in the midst of development to the north in Myrtle Beach and south in Charleston. If it was only warmer and not overcast.

Once again the weather witches cast the runes and misinterpreted what they saw. They forecast 10-15 kts and we got 20-30! That's one reason that I am being such a woos about heading out offshore unless I can see a weather window for at least twice as long as that leg of the trip will take.

Around 13h30 we pulled into Georgetown followed by Further and who was there on their boat waving us welcome? Seeker! We have made plans to get together for some libations tonight after the shopping binge has worn off. We are staying at the Harborwalk Marina which is a nice place in its own right but simply pales in comparison to the Osprey.

Tomorrow Charleston and maybe Monday offshore to Fernandina Beach.

Comments