S/V NELLEKE

The ship's blog for SV Nelleke out of Shelburne, NS

Breaking out of the retirement lethargy!

Last night Eric and Cori had us over to Further for some wine and snacks and to watch a Family Guy episode that was a parody of the Star Wars movie and another movie called Best in Show. Both were funny and I remember seeing an add for the sequel to the Star Wars parody when we went to the movies the other night so there is another one coming.

This morning we got up albeit a little late and actually got started on the various boat projects that we have on our list. I have cleared out the starboard lazaretteand am ready to take measurements and start the construction of the new auto helm base. Once I lay down in the lazarette another, perhaps easier and better solution struck me - why not make a solid shelf from the existing bulkhead back to the propane locker bulkhead for the full width of the available space? This should make a truly solid support with absolutely no chance of warping or twisting especially if I build it out of laminated 4"x4" oak that I just happen to have scored last year at the Norfolk Naval Base from some construction folks who had used it as the base of their pallets and were tossing them out into the dumpster. Solid oak? Can you believe it?

We took a break to take Cori and Eric out to the spoil island again to look for sharks' teeth and before long we had found almost a dozen and they were still empty handed and were accusing us of making some king of Nova Scotia joke on our American friends - you know? "Yuk, yuk, yuk! You shoulda seen 'em grovelling about in the mud bent over at the waist lookin' for sharks' teeth of all things!" They thought that all we would have to say in the blog is sharks' teeth and all our friends at home would dissolve into gales of laughter. The teeth that we found were ones that we had brought with us either from our existing collection or that we had bought in town. It wasn't until they had each found at least one on their own that these doubts ceased. Now they have become believers in the fossil sharks' teeth beach like we are and will be making several trips back there I'm sure.

Then in the early afternoon the wind picked up significantly and I am really glad that we are tucked away inside the face dock in one of the piers. Not only is is cheaper but we are spared to worst of the waves that are coming in from across the harbour although there really isn't much fetch so the seas aren't too high and they are virtually eliminated by the face dock. What it did do is put us onto different boat tasks rather than be down inside the lazarette. Instead I have been removing the forward looking sonar unit to send back for a warrantee claim and filling the empty propane tank and Barb has been off grocery shopping helped in both cases by some nice folks in one of the other boats on the dock who happened to have a car. I do have the measurements taken and I can do the cutting first thing in the AM before another trip to find more sharks teeth.

Comments