S/V NELLEKE

The ship's blog for SV Nelleke out of Shelburne, NS

More stuff in Fernandina!

The great shark tooth hunt continues! The crews of Further and Nelleke went across to the spoil island again this morning at low tide and rooted about like pigs for truffle only in this case our objective was fossilized sharks' teeth. Yours truly got really lucky within a minute of setting foot ashore when I found a Great White tooth that measures 1 ½ inches on each side of the tooth. Not the largest ever found but certainly the largest that I ever have. Cori is starting to get good at it too with a dozen teeth today to add to her collection including another Great White that was 3/4 of an inch along the edges. Pretty neat and awe inspiring when you think that at one time or even today there are animals swimming about in the ocean with a mouth full of these. We wanted to head around to the outside Atlantic Beach and try to look for more out there. Apparently, when they are dredging the channel they are scooping up more of the really large teeth and depositing them on the beach and they are dredging now. However the conditions in the harbour were not conducive to dingy travel so we had to turn around and wait for another day.

We continued to work at the boat chores in a gradual and careful fashion. We have the support for the new auto helm measured and glued and clamped and ready to be shaped and put in place tomorrow.

Tonight Cori and Eric will be our hosts for a dinner aboard Further. They are a sort of lapsed vegetarians and have agreed to introduce us to one of their favourite veggie meals so we are looking forward to trying that.

Comments