S/V NELLEKE

The ship's blog for SV Nelleke out of Shelburne, NS

Underway again....

Last night at the Dockside Grill bears repeating.....$5 for 1 pound of ribs and half price drinks from 15h00 to 18h00. Well worth the visit. In fact I really don't think that you could cook ribs at home for that little money.

On a different note, it is taking a while to recover from the head difficulties that I have been describing in recent posts. The backwash into the head and the air vent overflow into the bilge has left its own unique "trail" that will take some few days to air out I imagine. It is not too bad to me who has spent time shovelling muck in barns, but poor old super-nose Barb must be having a rough time, especially when we entertain. Speaking of which, since Earl and Kathy were kind enough to drive the animals and ourselves to the vet's we felt the least we could do is offer them breakfast, so the best Barb could do is run about with the spray deodorizer just before they arrived and keep her fingers crossed.

The trip to the vet was quite interesting. Peri was very well behaved but Al was the pussy from Hell, trying to bite or scratch just about anything. We're lucky the vet continued with the examination, but she did and we now have our clearances to get into the Bahamas. Earl and Kathy drove us to the vet's but then they had to go to take her to the airport so we made us of a service called the Klub Car, a flat rate taxi service that returned us to the marina for a total of $13! If there was only one of us it would have been only $9. That would be how to get to and from the propane dealer if we needed to.

We have settled up at the marina and will be on our way shortly so I'll get this posted before we depart. If I can get an internet link when we stop this evening I'll update it but otherwise by tomorrow we should be at Lake Worth. It would appear that there is a weather window opening for the weekend so that might be good for us to cross.

........

OK. It's the end of the day and we departed Vero at 11h00 and got as far as Nettles Island Marina. You may have noticed that we changed the location and the lat and long in the title for today's post. This is a nice spot where we stayed on the way north last spring and when we realized where we were decided to drop in again. By the way, Port Petroleum in Fort Pierce was a bust. We came in alongside and tried repeatedly to hail them to no avail. The place seemed deserted. Bummer - full price for fuel! We were looking to see Jim Corbet from AYC who would normally have his boat here, but he is still in Indiantown Marina working on his trailer. His boat is in the water, but his trailer suffered some damage and as he has it rented out in February so he needs to get it repaired, hence his delay in getting down to the coast. Too bad from many perspectives but from ours it would have been nice to see him.

The trip today was wonderful! It was the first day that we felt like wearing only T-shirts and shorts while underway. I am starting to worry about sun block. Still, sadly we saw hundreds of dead fish along the route. Turtles and manatees have also succumbed to the cold snap as well. I'm afraid that it is going to take some time for the environment to recover from this.

Comments