S/V NELLEKE

The ship's blog for SV Nelleke out of Shelburne, NS

Busy day today!

This morning we were waiting around until the refrigeration fellow arrived and good thing too. It turned out that he was definitely what was required. He was able to determine that there had been a slow leak at the quick disconnect fitting on the compressor and was able to rectify that and add some more refrigeration coolant, all the while giving us a lesson in refrigeration 101. Our friend Maury aboard Gypsy Sails would have liked to have met this fellow. As I remember it Maury used to teach this stuff at a Community College and here this fellow was doing it too, only with a class just us.

Then we took the rental car and made two trips to the grocery store, the first time to get about $80 worth of provisions and the second to get $150. The second time we went off with our friends Barry and Marcia from Troubadour a Tartan 37. They are the folks that we will be buddy boating with across the Stream in the next couple of days. Barb also was able to get a new battery for her Blackberry so we are hoping that it will heal itself.

We are looking at the weather forecasts for the next couple of days and although Chris Parker is calling for tomorrow and Thursday to be days for crossing, I really can't see where he is getting that since by tomorrow afternoon the wind will be from the NE at 10 knots and then through Thursday it will veer around to the east (do-able if you like motoring into headwinds) but by Friday it will be down to the SE and by Saturday veering still more to the South. If think that we will be fuelling up tomorrow and heading down to Peanut Island and wait 'till Friday morning, early, before heading out. Our friends from Troubadour have convinced us that we should depart in the dark hours of 05h00 in the AM and arrive at Mangrove Island if we are too tired or Great Sale if we are not by that evening. Then the next day, instead of heading to Green Turtle we should head for Spanish Cay to clear in. Apparently the customs officer there likes chocolate brownies so Barb will be baking some en route.

Tonight we will be BBQ-ing aboard Nelleke and making final plans. We haven't heard from our other voyager friends aboard Passages, Further, Seeker or Express Mail so it looks like we will only be two boats underway to the Bahamas in our own little fleet at least. Oh well. Maybe we'll catch up or cross wakes with them downstream.

Comments