S/V NELLEKE

The ship's blog for SV Nelleke out of Shelburne, NS

Beautiful day at Man-o-War

Whoa there Nellie! Boy oh boy did I have a really bad moment. As you may remember we have had our Chart Plotter shipped to us through one of the boat yards here and we have just had a bad, and I do mean bad, few minutes when it looked like it hadn't arrived in Florida for them to pick up, in spite of UPS tracking saying that it had. Oh my, that's all that I would have needed. However, thanks to Darren's quick mind he realized that if it arrived on the Thursday as I mentioned that it might be included in some parts that arrived on the same day. It now appears that it had and it is in their hands and I'll get it tomorrow. I would have it this afternoon if it weren't for the sad event of the funeral for one of the younger Alburys. He passed away after too short a life filled with health issues but popular with friends and family. We never met him but 38 is far too young for anyone to die and our thoughts are with his family and friends.

We didn't want to intrude on their grief so Barb and I took the dingy down the sound a wee way to a beach where we had been assured that sand dollars are to be found aplenty. Unfortunately we either didn't get the greatest directions or didn't understand the ones we got for after traveling a mile or more down the coast we still didn't find any beach and certainly didn't find any sand dollars so we'll have to ask for better directions or even better a guide.

When we got back to Nelleke we finally ran out of fresh water decided to go into the dock to but some, our first experience with buying water in the Bahamas. With some help form Jim from Patty Jean the exercise was fairly painless and I even go to practice some French with the Dockmaster who turned out to come from Haiti. While we were tied up alongside at the fuel dock a runabout came alongside to tell us that the planned evening of "cocktails and heavy hors d'ouvres" was postponed since the hostess had taken a tumble on one of the limestone beaches that are one of the features around here. She wants us to eat all the food anyway (Quelle horreur!) See, I'm still practicing my French. It helps with all the Haitian folks that are working here in the Bahamas.

In the evening we had another party at Tradewinds with our Man-o-War hosts from Troubadour. I am sure glad that Barry and Marcia are so gracious and patient with visitors for although we have been trying hard to give them their privacy it is still not as if they are alone on a private island. The party was to have been held at one of their neighbours but due to some unavoidable problems we shifted everything next door to Tradewinds. Another evening of fun and friendship, we even had a movie. Tomorrow Marcia's sister and her husband have to fly home to the frozen north. No more fresh baked bread! (Snivel)

Comments