S/V NELLEKE

The ship's blog for SV Nelleke out of Shelburne, NS

A trip to the metropolis of Marsh Harbour to shop and do some banking.

It was dead calm all last night so I am very glad that we weren't on the mooring relying on the wind generator to keep the batteries charged. This morning it was threatening to be overcast and to thunder and storm but by 09h00 it had cleared and was sunny again. But then, I spoke too soon for as the day progressed the clouds moved in, the skies darkened and the wind veered around.

My monthly pension cheque came in so we decided that it would be a good time to head on over to Marsh Harbour by way of Albury's Ferry Service to go to the Royal Bank over there and withdraw some moolah and do a small amount of grocery shopping before the weather really gets ugly which it promises to do tonight. We got to the bank and dropped into a small local bakery to buy some bread and a really nice coconut torte with a cherry topping (slurp, but I had to share with the Admiral). After that we had a flying trip to the Price Right grocery store for a few things and to buy some steaks for Barry and Marcia who are expecting some guests later this week. Then we went to the Curly Tail Bar and Grill to wait for Jim who had some other shopping to do. I didn't want to get side tracked as the 14h30 ferry was the one that I really wanted to catch as the weather is expected to worsen throughout the afternoon and night and I really didn't want to get stuck over there much as I'm sure that it's a nice place and all. Back at Man-o-War and we delivered the steaks and hot dog buns to Marcia only to discover that the weather in Florida is so poor that their flight was grounded in Palm Beach! They are now hoping to arrive tomorrow, but by then the weather here should have worsened. All in all I am very happy to be on a secure dock, thank you.

On the Suzuki-san front, Ray brought it back first thing this morning and so far she is purring like new. He had to drain out the fuel line and clean out the carb. Apparently the fuel was water contaminated so I will have to be more careful of where we store it and to check it periodically for condensation. This is especially important with the amount of ethanol that is in what you get at the pumps these days. The bottom line is that we are lighter in the wallet, but not too much since Ray is very reasonable in his rates and we have a functioning outboard again. Add to that the fact that Momma Turney's eldest does have his thick headed moments but you don't have to smack him between the eyes too hard or too often before he learns the lesson - Suzuki-san is aboard Nelleke for the night and the dingy is in the davits, just in case.

I have looked out at the long range weather forecast and it would appear that we should either get out of here on Friday and find somewhere else to tie up for Saturday night Sunday morning or stay put until Monday. I am leaning towards the Monday option. Jim has a different problem. His brother is flying in to join him aboard Patty Jean and won't be arriving until too late to catch a ferry ride over to Man-o-War and the weather is causing the marinas to fill up and he doesn't want to anchor or pick up a mooring single handed. His most likely solution will be to take the ferry over and stay at a B&B with his brother until the morning and then come back over.

Comments