S/V NELLEKE

The ship's blog for SV Nelleke out of Shelburne, NS

Just a quick note for the day although I probably won’t get to post it for a couple of days.

Today was moving day, moving us I mean. At about 10h00 we slipped the bridles from our mooring of four days and headed out with a brief stop to take on water. Next stop? Little Harbour. Hurrah!

Well maybe not. We didn't even get to the first set of lateral markers to get into the harbour. This is a place that carries only 1 meter of water at low tide so for Nelleke to get in we would have to be at the height of springs or close to it. Guess what? We weren't, so we had to back off and get unstuck. Yep. We got really jammed on and it was the first and only time that I was grateful for a small swell to lift us up ever so slightly and allow us to back off.

All of the other spots that we had decided to try as fall backs were very exposed and the Lynyard Cay spot would appear to have been too, but on a guess we motored over to try it. Turns out that for now at least it isn't too bad. We'll see how it goes through the night. We learned our lesson in Lake Worth - 5:1 is not good enough even with chain. We are in about 13 feet of water and we have over 100' of chain out plus the nylon three ply snubber. We have our fingers crossed and the anchor alarm set.

As I am writing this we are waiting to be joined by Patty Jean. They left at about the same time but they stopped off in Marsh Harbour to pick up Jim's wifi antenna that he had ordered a couple of weeks ago. Tomorrow the weather is calling for winds out of the south or almost directly on the nose so we will in all likelihood be sitting here and waiting for the calmer weather. On the plus side there would appear to be a really nice beach tot he stern where we could run Peri's little legs off.

Comments